Stang Suspension

NIN

Dec 4, 2002
moorhead MN
When I first got my stang all I wanted was the exhaust tone and power from my mustang. But now I have become more demanding and would like something more like a sports car. Could I transform this car (94 GT) into something that could handle similar to the 350z. Is there any chance for this or is this chasis hopeless. I like the power and the exhaust note of the v8 but has bodyroll that no sports car should. It is a muscle car and they not known for handling. The insurance rates you with this car get are unbeatable and it is paid for. So I would like to keep her.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

• Sponsors (?)

1) Subframe connectors, full lenght, welded
2) lowering springs
3) shocks/struts
4) LCA's/UCA's

That oughta make the stang handle like a champ! I have Eibach Pro-Kit springs, KYB shocks/struts, Eibach sway bars, pro3i LCA's/UCA's, and custom full length welded SFC's. My stang handles quite well. I didn't realize how well it handled until I drove a stock one, the thing felt like a fishing boat it was rocking back and forth so much.

NIN said:
Mine is stock so you know how I feel.

I had planned for subframe connectors for this summer but I had to buy a furnace for my aging house. How much did you spend on your suspension mods?

SFC's: $225 installed
Springs: $220 installed them myself
shocks/struts: $120 installed them myself
LCA's: $250 installed them myself
UCA's: $130 installed them myself
sway bars: $80 installed them myself

So just over $1000 for everything. Really, lower control arms are gonna help the most for straight line traction. SFC's are gonna help the most for cornering. The rest of the stuff isn't absolutely neccessary.

NIN said:
Another complaint is that my rear tires skawk with a little tap of the throttle. I need to get some better traction in the rear. I know tires would help but sticky tires will still need some help.

What does a panhard bar do?

Drag radials will help tremendously with traction. A panhard bar helps cornering, but I'm not quite sure how. I've never looked into it a whole lot.

A panhard bar helps locate the rear so that while cornering it does not try to move sideways (which causes it to feel like it is walking or steering from the rear).