Stangnet Problem (for the Computer Gurus)

Jesse 28B

Founding Member
Jun 23, 2002
Ohio, USA
I really love these stangnet forums and I'd like to read/contribute more, but I've been having serious problems trying to access the stangnet forums on my main computer.

On my main computer, which is a p4 2.4 GHz, I am having trouble getting the stangnet forums to load. It seems that the forums completely stop my entire internet connection. If I click on any part of the forums (to read a thread or post or whatever), the next screen will load to the gray background, then lock up my entire internet. If I have other internet windows open and browsing other sites, they will also act like they lose their connection with the internet. I also have trouble receiving email during this time.

After a few minutes or so, the page will either suddenly pop up, or I will get a page not found error.

The computer in question is running Road Runner. It has a wireless router running between the cable modem and my computer. The problem is not in the router though, because my old P2 350 MHz computer which is running on a wireless connection has no problems loading anything on stangnet.

I thought I was kind of a computer nerd, but this problem has me stumped. I've cleared my history, cache, & temp files. I also ran Ad-aware and Anti-Virus to check for anything. Nothing has helped though! I haven't really been able to browse stangnet for months on our main computer, and I've had to resort to other stang sites :notnice:

Do any of you guys have any ideas what I could check on next to try to figure this problem out?

Thanks for any help! :hail2:

BTW: Sorry for the long story, but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible haha

• Sponsors (?)

Yep.

I've accessed stangnet on multiple computers, but it just doesn't work on my main computer. I'm positive it's something on my end, but I've tried everything I can think of and nothing helps.

Uncle Meat said:
Well since no one else is reporting this problem it has to be something on your end. I'm assuming you can surf ANYWHERE else without problems like this, correct? Only Stangnet gives you this problem?

U.M.

actually i was having this problem not too long ago, however since then i have reformatted and it has seemed to be ok

if you cant/dont wish to reformat, i would suggest doing a "Disk Cleanup" and a Defrag, also reinstalling you networking components

your not running a pirated version of windows are you? that could also be the problem. if u tried receiving updates from microsoft, they might have detected that u have a bad copy and screw up ur networking. however i cant verify this, it might just be a rumor. however let me say ive had first hand experience with this matter and that seems to be the case

I had a similar problem for awhile when they first changed to the "new look". I just ended up rebooting all my hardware (cable modem, router, tower) and it started working. Not sure if that really fixed it or if it was just coincidence, but it started working after that.

exindust said:
Another Vote for Firefox.
:stupid:

Also check your firewall settins for IE or Firefox (if you start using it) to make sure you don't have some weird settings blocking some internet access. Definitely run disc cleanup and defragment your hard drive. If you 'analyze' your hard drive and it says that you do not need to defrag. but you see that you have a lot of fragments (red lines), defrag it anyway. You can always defragment your hard drive and it will not mess anything up. Like someone also mentioned earlier, clear your cache and cookies! You can also click start, search, and type in *tmp* (search all files and folders). Then look at all the useless temporary files that the search finds and delete the multitude of ones that you do not need taking up RAM. Start with those things and see if it helps.:nice:

also check your IE security policy... in my IE, it says this is a restricted site (for whatever reason), so maybe your computer is blocking it? Heck whenever my computer acts up at all, I give it the ol' baseball bat treatment and it behaves for a while

It is most likely your browser. As someone already mentioned check your security settings. I am not sure if this site enforces cookies (dont think so) but some do. Also you may try updating your browser to the newest version. If those things dont work I would try switching to a different browser and see if that helps.

Good luck.

Stangnet crashes IE on my computer at work sometimes. At home, IE sometimes stops displaying images. Firefox at home gives me trouble when posting. It doesn't auto refresh like IE does since the forum upgrade. It may be my script blocker plug-in on Firefox.

Update, I figured out my problem. Hopefully my solution will help somebody out in the future when they search the forums.
I've had Windows Firewall turned off since I installed XP SP2, but I was just looking around and noticed something. In the advanced settings of Windows Firewall, I noticed that the box was still checked next to local area connection. It meant that Windows Firewall was enabled for my Local Area Connection. I unchecked that box, and ever since then Stangnet has been fine.

I don't really understand why you can turn off Windows Firewall, but still have it running on the Local Area Connection. I guess its a Microsoft thing.

Thanks for the help guys and hopefully this info can help somebody else out!