StangNets Classic forum, The Next Titanic

fastcoupe68

Mar 10, 2004
nj
Just like Historic said this place is taking on alot of water, to many knowledgeable guys abandoning ship, cant say I blame them either. Just look at the quality of the threads in the tech forum and it just seems to be getting worse every day. Just my Opinion.

• Sponsors (?)

65stanger said:
THAT is a LOAD of :bs:
We've been hearing the same thing for years (at least as long as I've been here), but it usually comes from the members who are full of themselves, who get pissy when the rest of us ignore them! :nonono:

IMO it is not :bs: . I know of at least 11 quality posters who have left here over the last 1.5 years only to be regulars on other forums. Several of these guys I am in contact with via e-mail on a regular basis. All of them, (either on SN before they left, on other forums, or in e-mails) have stated the reason for leaving SN was due to idiotic OT style threads that seem to monopolize the Tech side. And God forbid if anyone ever tries to self police this place. All you get is a bunch of whiny babies with a "your not the boss of me" attitude. I too left here for a while and was talking with people via e-mails and on other forums. Many of them said I should come back to SN because things have changed, well they hadn't/haven't. I post here less and less. I respond to threads less and less.

The only thing most of us definatively have in common is Mustangs. When you introduce other topics, especially controversial, you breed contempt, disrespect, etc in the community because those topics are not the common ground that brought all of us to THIS place. Just look at the disrespect in the BOTM thread. The thread ASKED for opinions, but many of the posters took to slamming people becasue their opinion was different. Not a good foundation to build a close community on.

*** The above is the sole OPINION of gp001. YOUR opinion may vary. Opinion may be mutually exclusive. No cash value. Not valid in China.

Now, let me adorn my psycic hat and tell the future:
People are gonna post that people come and go
People are gonna post that you don't have to click on a thread
People are gonna post that I don't run Stangnet (because my opinion may differ from their opinion.)

Compared to other Ford forums, I agree the quality of the posts has gone downhill but this has been the trend for quite awhile. I'm not abandoning Stangnet...it is still a resource for new knowledge and hopefully, I can occasionally contribute...but if I have a real tech question..it is not the first place I go.

Used to be.

gp001 said:
Now, let me adorn my psycic hat and tell the future:
People are gonna post that people come and go
People are gonna post that you don't have to click on a thread
People are gonna post that I don't run Stangnet (because my opinion may differ from their opinion.)
:lol: Sorry Kreskin, but...........
I agree, that there have been a lot of nonsense posts in the tech forum, I've been guilty myself a time or two thousand. I have also seen quite a bit of it drop off since the creation of the "talk" side of the Classics. Most of the "b.s." threads I've seen on the Tech side since have been by newbies who are still feeling their way around......:shrug:
Yes there are still some wise-azz posts on Tech threads, but you do have to admit, it can be very, very difficult to ignore a good "straight line"!
Personally, I don't read all the threads on either side of the forum, I look at the titles, and if it piques my interest I take a look. If I like what I see, I read on, if I don't I go to another thread. And I studiosly try to avoid posting in threads that I feel are going to stir up controversy.....mostly based on prior similar threads!
If I need tech advice I do one of two things, first I'll do a search....If I cannot find my answer that way, then I'll post a thread trying to make sure that my title will draw the people I need to respond, and I get good tech!
My :bs: comment was to the the sentiment that Stangnet is "sinking" or "dying", etc......I have been hearing that from day one, but yet, Stangnet is still here!
And yes.....People come and go, you don't have to click on a thread, you don't run Stangnet, but not because your opinion may differ from my opinion (it does....sometimes and that is the beauty of our society, we can have different opinions!), you don't run Stangnet because Mike Raburn does, and the Moderators are supposed to police the forums.:shrug:
btw....I try not to worry about those issues, because I have more serious things to concern myself with, and I know you (gp001) know what I am talking about!

i've noticed the sam things as well. i'm not leaving though, i think things will turn around eventually. i remember when i first joined this board a few years ago i had 2-4 pages of good tech stuff to read everyday, now i have barely one page of stuff to filter through and usually only find 2 or 3 decent tech posts

i am a member of a number of forums, and i can say that stangnet, like a number of others, has its ups and downs. my only problem is that the swings are much larger than on other forums, but i stay anyway(glutton for punishment i guess).

Well, we have what we have; let's make the most of it. I would like to see better reponses in the tech forum from those of us that have been around awhile. I could post a tech question and have it drop off the first page with no response or an unsatisfactory one. I think we all need to try to give more and better info when we can. If were all getting and giving good tech, people will be too busy working on their cars to argue about some of the trivial things they've been bickering about lately. Lastly, keep your sense of humour! If I post a "rolling laugh" in a post,I'm just kidding around! Heck, I've taken my share of jabs with no complaint: look at my title!

It is kind of funny. I remember these exact kinds of threads last year about this time of year. Some people left and some others joined.

I know I occasionally post things in tech that ...etc

I will work on being a better member of this community. Now if everyone says that, we will be doing pretty darn good.

65stanger said:
:lol: Sorry Kreskin, but...........
I agree, that there have been a lot of nonsense posts in the tech forum, I've been guilty myself a time or two thousand. I have also seen quite a bit of it drop off since the creation of the "talk" side of the Classics. Most of the "b.s." threads I've seen on the Tech side since have been by newbies who are still feeling their way around......:shrug:
Yes there are still some wise-azz posts on Tech threads, but you do have to admit, it can be very, very difficult to ignore a good "straight line"!
Personally, I don't read all the threads on either side of the forum, I look at the titles, and if it piques my interest I take a look. If I like what I see, I read on, if I don't I go to another thread. And I studiosly try to avoid posting in threads that I feel are going to stir up controversy.....mostly based on prior similar threads!
If I need tech advice I do one of two things, first I'll do a search....If I cannot find my answer that way, then I'll post a thread trying to make sure that my title will draw the people I need to respond, and I get good tech!
My :bs: comment was to the the sentiment that Stangnet is "sinking" or "dying", etc......I have been hearing that from day one, but yet, Stangnet is still here!
And yes.....People come and go, you don't have to click on a thread, you don't run Stangnet, but not because your opinion may differ from my opinion (it does....sometimes and that is the beauty of our society, we can have different opinions!), you don't run Stangnet because Mike Raburn does, and the Moderators are supposed to police the forums.:shrug:
btw....I try not to worry about those issues, because I have more serious things to concern myself with, and I know you (gp001) know what I am talking about!

I respect you 65Stanger and know that you and I can post a discussion here with differing opinions without it getting personal. Sometimes it is hard to convey differing thoughts over the internet without them sounding like attacks, so want to say that what I am about to post is merely my observations and are not an attack on anyone.

SN is still here, but the quality isn't. Just take a look at the tech side.
I don't have to click on a thread, but at the same time we HAVE a talk section and members should respect the community by posting in the right place. It really isn't that hard to make an extra click.
We (you and I) can have differing opinions without a problem, but others can't. Look at the BOTM thread. Somehow if you don't want a BOTM thread you are either old, wife whipped, or gay, and if you want it you are a young, horny person that can't get any in real life. How's that for a solid community? No contempt or disrespect there. :rolleyes:
While I don't run SN, or even moderate it, we should be able to police our own damn selves. 2BAV8 and Oboe can't spend their every waking moment on here babysitting a bunch of supposed adults. I used to merely post *cough* Talk Section *cough*, but even that caused people to jump down my throat with the "you're not the boss" attitude. I don't get it :shrug:

67GTA-FB429 said:
I will work on being a better member of this community. Now if everyone says that, we will be doing pretty darn good.

Yep, that's the key. Self police, self moderate, self respect. WE are the collective "self" of this forum. This forum is what WE make of it.

gp001 said:
While I don't run SN, or even moderate it, we should be able to police our own damn selves. 2BAV8 and Oboe can't spend their every waking moment on here babysitting a bunch of supposed adults. I used to merely post *cough* Talk Section *cough*, but even that caused people to jump down my throat with the "you're not the boss" attitude. I don't get it :shrug:

There are others (still here) and there were others (recently banned) that would jump on people for posting talk in tech and then do it themselves. They would also make fun of the ones that were trying to 'police' the forums.

Ultimately, if you think your post is inflammatory, wait 30 miutes to post. I broke my own rule yesterday... :(

This place is what you make of it. It is sad that SD and others have left but there are others that are good resources.... Hearne, Historic, etc.

It is sad to see some quality posters go, and everyone should be reminded frequently that tech is tech and talk is talk. That being said, I see nothing wrong with the discussions, even the heated ones, that we have here, up until the personal attacks start. We are all human beings and have differing opinions on things. That is perfectly normal and acceptable. And as a community of people who sometimes develop long distance frienships, we have a right to talk about things that are not related to Mustangs. That's part of being a real community and not being only one dimensional. How boring is only talking about one thing? Try doing it on a date and it will be the only date.

I am a Mechanical Engineer by education/trade, and while in school couldn't understand why we had to take the BS philosophy/sociology/psycholgy courses. One day the department head explained why....to give us something to talk about at dinner parties. Definitely a true statement.

We all have personalities, most of them are different. If some people can't handle it, then they have issues way beyond stangnet.

There comes a time in all things to 'pass the torch' to the next generation. In the case of SuperDave, there were extreme issues in his life that forced him to finally leave this forum and the hobby. At the same time, we have new members joining all the time, all at different levels of experience (we were ALL new members at one time or another). If someone new accidently or unknowingly posts an offtopic post in the tech forum, they should be told of their mistake, but I see no reason to jump all over them as some here have done in the past. Different forums have different software and formats, so they may have trouble getting used to this particular software, or the fact that it is called Talk and not Off-Topic (perhaps change the name to Talk/Off-Topic?). Habitual offenders, however, may need to be reminded in a more persuasive manner.

Once again, the personal attacks are totally unacceptable and should be dealt with swiftly and harshly. Unfortunately Oboe and 2bav8 can't police every post 24/7.

gp001 said:
I respect you 65Stanger and know that you and I can post a discussion here with differing opinions without it getting personal. Sometimes it is hard to convey differing thoughts over the internet without them sounding like attacks, so want to say that what I am about to post is merely my observations and are not an attack on anyone.

SN is still here, but the quality isn't. Just take a look at the tech side.
I don't have to click on a thread, but at the same time we HAVE a talk section and members should respect the community by posting in the right place. It really isn't that hard to make an extra click.
We (you and I) can have differing opinions without a problem, but others can't. Look at the BOTM thread. Somehow if you don't want a BOTM thread you are either old, wife whipped, or gay, and if you want it you are a young, horny person that can't get any in real life. How's that for a solid community? No contempt or disrespect there. :rolleyes:

Yep, that's the key. Self police, self moderate, self respect. WE are the collective "self" of this forum. This forum is what WE make of it.
Awwwww, dang it! I have to agree with you here, even without the threat of the sheeple or black helicopters......:nonono:

:D

GP, if the 15 members that have left here came back, would it not be just like the old days?

Or have the posting habits of the old timers changed, where maybe they weren't as interested in explaining for the 100th time something to a new Stanger?

Forums go through life cycles. I have been on them since the AOL by the hour days and that has never changed.

While I can understand people lamenting about the good old days, if all the people that are lamenting about the good old days were talking about Mustangs instead, maybe THESE would be the good old days.

Just a thought...

Max Power said:
GP, if the 15 members that have left here came back, would it not be just like the old days?

Or have the posting habits of the old timers changed, where maybe they weren't as interested in explaining for the 100th time something to a new Stanger?

Forums go through life cycles. I have been on them since the AOL by the hour days and that has never changed.

While I can understand people lamenting about the good old days, if all the people that are lamenting about the good old days were talking about Mustangs instead, maybe THESE would be the good old days.

Just a thought...

Max, that is why I posted that they are regulars elsewhere. I could probably name 30+ people who no longer post here, but these 11 I see post regularlt elsewhere, even the same old answers to the same old questions. Some of them are doing some amazing resto mod style projects on their cars (I've even helped make some parts ). That is why I said what I did. Some people will flow in and out of the hobby, it's just sad that some still in the hobby flow out of SN due to the non Mustang BS.

IMO, there won't be good days if we don't keep good posters.

I agree with the members of stangnet policing themselves, but this must be inclusive of all rules, not just the classifieds. GP, please don't feel that I am making a point toward you even though we have had that discussion/disagreement before. I mean more so in directing talk to the talk section and keeping the tech section tech, stepping in earlier when a disagreement becomes personal, and yes, keeping classifieds in the classified section. Hopefully we can turn the direction of this forum around and make it a great resource again.

When I looked at tech tonight, it was already better and I noticed alot of helpful info, actual tech questions, answers, and I learned something new myself! :banana: (see driveshaft thread).
As far as where others are going, I saw one of our moderators on another forum :nonono: