Started a new job today!!

CManT1914

Feb 5, 2004
Killeen, Texas
I've been working at my dad's shop for 2 years now part time, and it's just not my thing. All we do is accessories, not performance parts or anything. Plus, my main job was salesman, and I hate talking to customers, lol. So a guy I know that does construction said he could use me helping him out. So today was my first day working with him. For now it's still just part time, 2, maybe 3 days a week. But within the next month I'm hoping I can start full time. I know he'll use me, I just gotta take care of my schedule first.

Anyway, here's how my day went. I got to the site at 8, it was some Korean lady's house. A tow truck had come to tow their car away, and their driveway was sloped downhill towards the house. Well the car fell off the tow truck and rolled into the house, caving in 80% of the wall on the one side. So we tore out the wall this morning (Gerald (my boss) and my friend Matt (he's been working for a little while for him) and I) and cleaned it up. Then after lunch we framed the new wall and hung insulation board to close it in. Tomorrow we're going back to cut out for the windows and hang them. Then it's sheetrock, the outside rock (the house is rock) and a few odds and ends and that should be it. I had a blast though. That's really more my kind of work. Anyway, I won't be on stangnet near as much anymore, since the majority of my time spent on here was during work hours while we weren't busy. But my new job of course I won't be on here. :( But I'll still be on at night a lot hopefully. Anyway, just thought I'd share with you guys!

• Sponsors (?)

331Pony said:
good luck dude. im in the same position somewhat. looking for a good solid fulltime job.

Good luck, what kind of job are you looking for?

BlueOvalStangGT said:

lol, I actually don't know what he's paying me. My buddy Mike (who has no construction experience) started off at $8 an hour, and I've done construction a lot before. I was only getting $9 an hour at my dad's shop, so I figure even if I am only getting $8, then that's okay, because I like this a lot better, and I'm working more.

super302 said:
Dont put a saw through your hand

:rlaugh: :lol: Gerald (my boss) nearly stuck me in the balls today with a nail. He was starting one in, and it shot out of the wood and flew right towards me. I jumped up as it rocketed past right where my balls just were. It went completely through the tarp behind me. :eek: Then he nearly got me in the head later today as well, lol.

Constuction is great, I used to love it. I was an operator/pipelayer for an excavation company in Phoenix at $14/hr to start.

Just be super careful working for a private non-licensed contractor. You mess something up and you'll be out on your ass before you know it. Alot of those guys really don't have a clue what's going on. Sure they can build, but they don't understand what they're building half the time.

Also, be aware of everything around you at all times. I couldn't tell you how many times people get hurt becuase of a neglegent foreman or super. Anyway, just some words of wisdom from first hand experience coming from the field and office, I don't want to sound like an ass. Once you get your feet wet and comfortable in the field, you'll have a blast.

Are you guys working off new demo and repair plans?

Congrats on the new job.

i too just got a new job. i've been working at Nautica clothing store for bout three yars while i go to school and just recently i decide that i need a change. So i looked around the outlet mall i work out and found a job w/better pay and more hrs, and i also get to boss people around. I am now a first keyholder of Fossill. 12bucks an hr too. Maybe now i can afford to buy that powerpipe off of you CManT1914. lol soon soon.

My girlfriend loves the fact i make more money now, but hates that all my co-workers are hott girls. She has to just get over that though.

chris dude nice work man I just got my new job too. Apx. 30-40K a year full time with all the benefits. I go back in on monday and find out when i am supposed to start.
Cool part is im in sales (which i really like) and they give me a business phone, busniess cards, supply most of work clothes, and they buy new crap for their sales team all the time.
I can't wait to get out of the parents house AGAIN!