Started on my T56 swap..

Trav4011

Jan 3, 2006
So, I got started on my T56 swap, into my 2000 GT last night. All in all, it went pretty smoothly, getting the T45 out, except for that top 13mm starter bolt.. My GOD what a pain in the ass! I had to use 3 swivels, and 3 extensions to get it out! Needless to say, That bolt will NOT be going back in.. ;)

MustangTrans4.jpg

8-bolt Windsor, 75K miles, and no rear main seal leakage.. :)

MustangTrans6.jpg

MustangTrans5.jpg

I miss my blower.. :(

MustangTrans1.jpg

Cobra T56 with Viper input shaft, upgraded shift forks and synchro's, Spec 3.5 clutch with correct spline for Viper shaft, and aluminum drive shaft. Picked it up for 2K, with 1K miles on it since the rebuild.

Travis

• Sponsors (?)

I might... honestly, I'm not really worried about it though.. I'm building a Teksid block on the side, currently, and this one only has to last me about 4-5K more miles.. :)

Ebay... I planned on turbocharging the car soon. I'm not sure what I want to do, though.. Honestly, I haven't decided 100%. I own a fab shop, and have the capacity to build a nice kit for the car, but, I'm not sure if I want to have the car down for several weeks. A D1, or Novi 2000 would be so easy, and quick to install.. but, on the other hand.. a turbo setup would make some awesome power, with more area under the curve..

Here's a pic with the P1 setup on the car..
Procharger%20install2.jpg

This setup was decent.. I put down 397whp/392ft lbs @ 9psi with the small intercooler that ATI provides.. 42lb injectors, and a personal tune using SCT racer software. But, I was told that the P1 will only make 450-475whp without issue.. so, I got rid of it while it was still in good condition.

Travis

so did you get the tranny in? what are your impressions? what gears do you have and what are you taching? hows the shift smoothness and how easily csn you find each gear on that 6 spd?

DerekStangGT said:
so did you get the tranny in? what are your impressions? what gears do you have and what are you taching? hows the shift smoothness and how easily csn you find each gear on that 6 spd?

I'm waiting on my transmission crossmember, and I have to modify the driveshaft that they gave me.. the flange/knuckles are larger.. and won't fit on my rear end.

Travis

Trans is in!

MustangTrans7.jpg

MustangTrans8.jpg

MustangTrans9.jpg

MustangTrans10.jpg

MustangTrans11.jpg

The trans crossmember is temporary (until I get the Cobra piece in).. But, honestly, it fits fine, and I'm sure that the 2 bolts would be ok for a while. I should have the right one in next week.. so, I'll swap it out when I get it in..
The only snag that we ran into.. was that the T56 pressure plate/flywheel bolts were bigger than the old T45 pressure plate/flywheel bolts.. Luckily, I just so happened to have (6) grade 8 metric bolts that were the right length and thread pitch.. I think it's M10x1.25, versus the older M8x1.25 bolts. Either way... I quick dig through my pile of Nissan bolts, netted the correct bolts, and I was able to get the thing together. So, if you're ever in a bind, 2002+ Nissan Sentra passenger engine mount bolts will work.. ;)

The trans went in easily, once the bell housing was installed.. my buddy and I easily lifted it into place, and it snapped right in.. I was a little leary, since I had to use a "modified" alignment tool from my nissan stash.. but, it worked out just fine. Everything is in... except for the driveshaft.. Here's where it gets confusing..

This setup came out of a old Notchback with a 4.6 swap/F1R.. The driveshaft is around a inch too short, and the flange is much larger than my 8.8 flange.. Also, the knuckles are much larger.. making it impossible to swap out the older one.. Any ideas?

Travis

Hey, don't forget to let us know how it goes...

I have 3.73's in mine, and I am seriously considering puttin in the Tremec 6spd. I drive mine to work daily 120km round trip on the highway and just having that 6th gear would probably pay itself off in gas mileage...

Is it just a direct bolt up replacment tranny or is there other crap that goes with it...(at the same time I would put a big clutch and an alumi. driveshaft)

Thanks and good luck!

Well.. I started her up tonight.. after getting my driveshaft shortened and the Cobra yoke swapped over.. I took it out on the highway, and it runs great.. however, I have a slight chattering noise at idle, with the clutch engaged and the trans in neutral.. It only happens when I rev the engine, or, if the A/C compressor kicks on.. It's not very loud, but, you can hear it inside the car. It's almost like a small pebble is loose in the bell housing.. I'm not sure what it is.. the trans works fine, mechanically.. no grinds, whines, or notchy shifting. I have a triax shifter, and my buddy is telling me that it transmits more noise into the cabin.. but, this doesn't sound normal at all.. I'll get it up on the lift tomorrow, to see if it's the throw out bearing hanging up.. or something stupid.. but, I have a bad feeling that it's something with the clutch, or the trans itself.. The noise goes away completely when I push in the clutch..

Travis

I swapped out the triax shifter handle for the stock piece.. and it's MUCH quieter.. I think I'm going to leave it like this.. It still has a crisp shift with the Triax base.. but, there's much less noise transmitted into the cabin with the stock shifter handle. It's kinda wierd at 70mph, only turning up like 1900-2000rpm.. and 1st gear pulls to around 58mph! I definately need some 4.10's now!