Starter Engagement/mesh Issue, Last Straw That Could Break The Camel's Back

I just had an issue with my starter that made me think of this thread.

My starter on my new build was staying engaged for a fraction of a second...only after actually starting. Come to find out....my starter motor and solenoid wire were on the same post on the fender mounted solenoid.

If yours is wired this way it'll eat the gear pretty quick. The starter gear will be bouncing off the edge of the ring gear....eventually eating it up like you pictured.

Easy thing to miss....seeing as much as I have, and do, work on these cars.

• Sponsors (?)

Alright, got the car to the transmission guy's shop. We looked at the difference between the "off set " of the starter pinion from the center on both the mini- style starter and the old style starter and like he mentioned over the phone when we first spoke the off set was not correct on the mini style starter compared to the original starter. The mini starter was way off causing the engagement mesh to just bearly touch the ring gear causing the skipping of the teeth.

He will be dropping the original starter back in and double checking engagement mesh and issue with chewing up flex plates should be resolved.
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
IMG_6517.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
I see the difference, but isn't the mini starter based on the 92-93 starter? Aren't those supposed to be direct swaps for the earlier cars (minus the wiring differences)

Reactions: 1 user
I see the difference, but isn't the mini starter based on the 92-93 starter? Aren't those supposed to be direct swaps for the earlier cars (minus the wiring differences)

Yes indeed it's supposed to be a direct swap but I believe the mounting hole location may differ on the models that came with this starter to accommodate the new style starte and or the flex plate diameter I'm after marker plates may be slightly smaller than stock just adding to the confusion ?