Electrical starter engages every time i press the clutch to the floor 1988 ca mustang gt

hello so starter engages every time I press to the floor. I am aware that its a wiring issue, grounding almost positive due to pressing and making contact with floorboard when it happens and adjusting clutch so it engages without and no issue. so contact seems to be culprit. any help on where to start i gave up over a year ago and now have the time to try again.

• Sponsors (?)

I doubt that the clutch contacting the floor is the problem but stranger things have happend.
I would get under the dash, on the peddle arm there is a switch, disconnect it, push the clutch in, nothing should happen.

The clutch pedal switch is a starter interrupt. It won't let the start signal from the ignition complete to the relay unless the clutch pedal is pushed in closing the circuit.

My guess is the issue has less to do with the clutch and more to do with your ignition constantly sending power to the small wire on the top post of the starter relay.

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1on5czXKmpETzxUggWTGtoUuVkJT2UUxN/view

Page 22 is the starter circuit. You'll want to test the white/pink wire coming off the ignition and see if it's constantly hot. It shouldn't be. It should only be hot when you turn key to start. You can pull the small wire off the relay while you test this out to avoid blipping the starter over each time

• Hell Yeah!
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users