Starter Install

I've searched through many threads looking for a way to get to the top bolt of the starter. I can easily get to the bottom, but how do I get to the top bolt?

And how would I get the top bolt started once I get the new starter in place???

Any help is greatly appreciated...

• Sponsors (?)

Perseverance is really the only way. I have small arms and usually reach over the engine mount from the front and then get the bolt off using a ratchet and an extension about the length of the starter. If you work at it for a while I'm sure you'll find a way that works for you. Good luck.

I always go at the top bolt from in front of the engine mount with two 10" extensions and a universal joint. Makes it much easier than trying to bend your hand and arm in unnatural positions.

I was able to r/r my starter by removing the passenger wheel and going thru a triangular hole behind the spring. I used my impact rachet with a 4" extension and a deep 1/2" socket. That top bolt didn't know what hit it, lol.

Piece of cake.

Thanks all... :hail2: :hail2: :hail2:

I always go at the top bolt from in front of the engine mount with two 10" extensions and a universal joint. Makes it much easier than trying to bend your hand and arm in unnatural positions.

I know the work here is done, but for people in future searches, this is the way to do it. A couple long-ass extensions plus maybe a u-joint, and you can get the bolt from the front of the engine bay. MUCH easier, and you don't have to remove anything else.

I know the work here is done, but for people in future searches, this is the way to do it. A couple long-ass extensions plus maybe a u-joint, and you can get the bolt from the front of the engine bay. MUCH easier, and you don't have to remove anything else.

I've searched a lot of threads concerning this subject and if I have learned anything I've learned that these cars are different from year to year.

The way to do it for me and my 87GT Convertible was exactly as I explained with an impact wrench. It took 20 mins to R&R my starter.

Thanks for your comment...

i have an 87 also and i can r/r the starter in 4-5 mins with the before mentioned 6" extension and deep socket. after trial and error that was the easiest way. i had to replace 5 starters in a year and a half so i became pretty proficient at it. any way glad the job got done and it doesnt matter really how you do it as long as youre comfortable with it and nothing goes wrong.

The easiest way is to use a series of extensions. I always put extensions together until they are long enough that my ratchet is barely in front of the motor, it's easy to spin, no one click at a time crap.

Of course if you still have smog the pump might be in your way, but if you don't that is hands down the easiest way.

I was able to r/r my starter by removing the passenger wheel and going thru a triangular hole behind the spring. I used my impact rachet with a 4" extension and a deep 1/2" socket. That top bolt didn't know what hit it, lol.

Piece of cake.

Thanks all... :hail2: :hail2: :hail2:

That is by far the easiest way, I don't even take my wheel off but I am running skinnies up front. Takes no time to swap a starter or remove it.

Just want to say thanks for this thread... I tried for a few hours to get the starter off and couldn't do it.

Found this, took my wheel off... looked through the hole and THERE was the bolt!

Got it off in about 10 minutes.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s kind of a pain the get to but with trial and error you’ll get it. No need to pull the wheel off. As others have stated extensions, elbows and perseverance.

On my 79 and 82 I put together 2-3 ft of extensions and go in from the front of the engine. Its worked for 20+ years. I do it that way because I have longtube headers, With shorties, you could just pull the header.