starter issue...i think

hawkchief048

Mar 22, 2006
Mililani, HI
Alright, here's the deal. Every now and then when I try to start my beloved piece of rust, the starter just whirrrrrrs. It usually does this until I take it out of gear and put it back in gear. I'm thinking that the shop that put in my T5 didn't get the starter lined up just right (or shimmed up right or something of that sort). Just wanted to know what you guys think.

• Sponsors (?)

So it's like you starter is not engaging, but it seems weird to me that you are getting it to start by simply taking it in and out of grear. I mean if it's not shimed up right in the first place it shouldn't make any difference if its in gear or in neutral, the starter should still not be able to engage the teeth correctly.

Did you get a new starter when you switched to the T5?

hawkchief048, I'm sort of having the same problem...
I'm running a 302 and a C4 trans.

I pruchased a rebuilt starter from PepBoys twice and when I try to start my car it sounds like I'm grinding away at the gears. Sometimes it spinns the motor and other times it doesn't. I tried spacing my starter out a bit and that too didn't help.

Not sure where to go, I know there are no shims for a C4. Maybe I'll just but a real starter and get away from the rebuilds.

Any advise?

The starter for the C4 tranny should be the correct one for the T5 swap. If you are having this problem it could be a bad starter or worn teeth on you flywheel/flexplate as well.