Starter issues

SlywithanI

Sep 27, 2011
I just bought my mustang a week ago from today. I was hoping my 1st post would be something fun and not problems. When I try to start my car now I can hear the starter spinning and trying to engage but it doesn't catch on the flywheel. So is my flywheel missing teeth or has my starter gotten too worn out to reliable turn over the engine? I'm working on trying to get a jack to look at the flywheel and gonna try to pull the starter off tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong though for in the mean time?

• Sponsors (?)

Missing teeth on the flywheel is very rare. However, you can find out by manually turning the motor in a clockwise direction using the front crank snout bolt.

Be sure to do your research on starter removal. The top starter bolt can be a real PIA. It really helps to have a flex socket with a long extension.

Yup - rotate the crank a few degrees and try to start again. If it is missing teeth, you will move it to a good spot and it will crank. Otherwise, it could be the bendix in the starter - this is what throws the gear out to engage the flywheel. If it has gone out then the starter can spin without ever engaging the flywheel and of course it's not gonna start. If it is a stick you can push start it to get to the parts store! Also, burns is being straight with you about the top starter bolt - I can't tell you how many mustangs are running aroung without that bolt. I found that the easiest way is to use two universal joints and a few extensions ad go at it from in front of the K member. Takes a little positioning to say the least.

The flywheel looks fine and so did the teeth on the starter. It was strange that is was still trying to engage though. I read up on the starter removal and had the started off in about 45 minutes. :D

Missing teeth on the flywheel is very rare. However, you can find out by manually turning the motor in a clockwise direction using the front crank snout bolt.

Be sure to do your research on starter removal. The top starter bolt can be a real PIA. It really helps to have a flex socket with a long extension.

Haha, yea, that bolt was not one of Ford's "better" ideas for sure.

Try rolling the car in gear a few inches to get a new part of the flywheel next to the starter. If that doesn't work try tapping the starter with a wrench - sometimes an internal actuator won't kick the starter gear out to engage the flywheel and hitting it seems to temporarily fix it. You probably just need a new starter. I used to have a to do a combination of rolling and tapping, but eventually I had to always park on a hill :) , so address the issue either way.

The solenoid in the starter includes a contactor that passes power to the motor after the starter drive has been pulled in. If the motor turns the solenoid is working.

It sounds like the linkage or the one-way clutch on the starter drive has broken. I seriously doubt there are teeth missing on the starter ring.

The flywheel looks fine and so did the teeth on the starter. It was strange that is was still trying to engage though. I read up on the starter removal and had the started off in about 45 minutes. :D

So you're saying that the gear did extend? If you don't know, hit the starter with voltage (take it to a parts store for that) and see if the gear extends. If it does, be sure you have the correct starter for that car or you may need to shim it.

Well got a new starter on it and it is still not cranking. It is doing the same thing. Just trying to turn the motor then it stops. I know there is a small leak of antifreeze coming from some where but just not sure where. I hope it is not going into the cylinders. Anything else that would stop if from starting the motor? It is a brand new starter so it can't be that.

My shiny new starter was bad just got it off and exchanged it for another one. The drive was slipping in the starter. Maybe the planets will align tonight and my car will live again.