Starter Problem????

mgaffin

Jul 5, 2003
Alright, this is really pissing me off!! About 3 months ago my starter went out. And by went out I mean that slowly, maybe over the course of a week, my starter would occasionally at first just spin like it wasn't catching at all...then I would try again and it would catch and start the car...After about a week it just wouldn't catch at all, unless I was real lucky and rotated the flywheel a bit by attempting a push start. So now your thinking missing teeth...I don't think so...So I replace the starter myself...It works fine. For 1 month and then does the same thing. So, I take it back and yet again replace it. But this time I put a shim in as well..( I was told that would help if it wast engaging too far)..BTW, when I took it to get replaced they did a check on their machine and it was cranking 12 volts or whatever and it extended out like you would expect..They thought it was alright obviously but I still made them replace it. SO I replaced it for the 2nd time...Well, this time it lasted 2 months...but tonight it happend again. However it was more, all of a sudden instead of drawn out over a week.... Anyway, I really need to get this fixed...Do I need a more powerfull starter? or What? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of car? I assume a Mustang, but what year? They had different starters in some. Are you using a parts store starter? They tend to wear out faster. Have you have the entire charging/ starting system checked and the battery checked under a starting load? Does it do it only when the car is hot? Sometimes the starter gets overheated and refuses to turn over.

If it is a stock 91 or earlier, it would be a good idea to upgrade to the 92+ mini starter. It is a better and smaller design. (lighter, easier to install and less likely to get too hot) You do have to run a new wire and move the starter wire on the starter relay to work it though. I got a used one for $20, but you can get new ones for $80 up like on ebay.

Good luck!

Yeah, sorry, it was late and I was trying not to forget details...oops. It is a 90' 5.0 Hatch..Obviously a 5-speed..Yes the starter's were from Autozone, but a month?? twice? I guess the thing that gets me is that it doesn't seem to not work..It ALWAYs goes ZZZZZZZZ just like it is spinning but with nothing to catch against..That's what I don't understand, so it isn't like it is wearing out or having a hard time. It sounds just as strong. THe only thing is it doesn't seem to catch anything. So I can only assume that it isn't coming out all the way, but then when I took the second one in for a replace and they dry tested it, sure enough it came out all the way and showed full power. It doesn't feel at all like it doesn't have power, but then again I am no genious. I just can't understand why it doesn't catch..?? And when I take the bad ones out they don't look like they have worn teeth either.

I will probably try the above mentioned things but would love to hear some more responses first...Thanks guys.

Also....I just called about a ministarter and they seem to be slightly expensive...I am really trying to get through this spending as little money as possible...Now I still have a warranty on my starter and can return it to Autozone...So...I heard mention of using a 94/95+ Starter??

I'm not sure I know exactly what the flex plate is. (Sorry for the ignorance) And I guess the next question is, how would I replace it? How much time should I alott for such a project?? This is my daily driver...Would a new Tranny do the trick?

The flex plate is the plate the starter meshes with to rotate the engine, I'm not sure how long it would take you with a 5 speed, probably less than my AOD and longtubes... Which can be done in about 2 or 3 hours with some help ( get tools etc....)

Thanks..I think that is the problem. I have decided what I am going to do. Instead of spending more money on the car...I am going to sell it and try to get 3K for it...Then I am going to use that money to rebuild my 351 Cleveland engine in my 70' fastback and buy a new tranny for it... Then I wouldn't so much be wasting money. That's my plan. In the meantime I will just replace the starter once more. Then hopefully I will have the 70 done!! Thanks for all the help guys!