Starter Problems

Kerrysc

Dec 16, 2017
So I have a 2004 Mustang gt stock. I had a bad wheel bearing so I replaced it as well as the clutch while I was there. Once everything was buttoned up I connected the battery and the engine started to turn over without the key in the ignition. I figured the 2 wires on the starter were touching so I quickly moved one and put the battery back and it was fine. I pushed it out and doesn’t turn over. I couldn’t leave it there so I dropped the clutch to get it started to get back home. Now my buddy and I were under it a couple days ago we tried moving the wires around on the starter. The wires are on the right spot I have a picture before we took it off. But it still won’t turn on I got a new battery so I’m not sure what’s going on any help please.

• Sponsors (?)

First. Check fuse F1.3 and F2.6.

Next. Confirm there is +12 volts into and out of fuse F2.6 with the key in the "crank/start" position. Use a KNOWN good ground.

Then. Listen to the starter relay in the battery junction box to hear if it "clicks" when the key is turned to run.

What to do next depends what the results of the tests are.

1999-2004 MY fuse panel schedule:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...r-swap-wont-fire-please-help.html#post2669271

Last edited: