Starter wont engage flywheel

Hoops8889

Mar 31, 2020
Hudson mi.
I just did windsor to romeo swap, got everything done and went to crank it over and the starter just spins and doesn't engage, pulled it and got a new one and same thing, I'm lost as what to do, any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm gonna assume you changed to the Romeo flywheel/flexplate and it all bolted up nice and tidy? What is the condition of the teeth on the flywheel/flexplate? Try turning the motor over 10-20 degrees to expose a different section of teeth to the starter and see if it will engage there. If so, look for a replacement flywheel/flexplate.

I'm gonna assume you changed to the Romeo flywheel/flexplate and it all bolted up nice and tidy? What is the condition of the teeth on the flywheel/flexplate? Try turning the motor over 10-20 degrees to expose a different section of teeth to the starter and see if it will engage there. If so, look for a replacement flywheel/flexplate.
It's a brand new flywheel exedy brand, so teeth are new.

About all that is left is to check and be sure the starter drive is good (not slipping) and kicking out like it should. Usually you can feel the starter drive gear tension with the stater disconnected on the bench. You can bench check it with a battery to be sure the drive kicks out when the starter starts to spin...do not get your fingers in there.

Reactions: 1 user