Starts Hard When Warm

Buckaroo

Sep 6, 2015
I have a 65 with 289 2bbl and automatic tranny. It has a Petronics replacing the points. The engine was rebuilt about 2,000 miles ago. The car starts right up when cold. After it is warm and I shut it off and restart it withing a few minutes it will again start right up with the turn of the key. However if it sits 5 minutes or more It does not want to start. It eventually will after pumping the gas pedal. But then it appears almost flooded. The 2bbl carb was rebuilt when the engine was rebuilt. It was not like this right after the rebuild and it is appearing to be getting work. It does still have the mechanical fuel pump and a new tank. Suggestions welcome. This is driving us crazy and embarrassing when we get together with our cruisers group.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like flooding to me. The float is likely sticking or the needle seat is dirty or even a piece of trash stuck in the seat allowing fuel into the carb after you shut it down? Instead of pumping it when it does this, try pushing the pedal to the floor and holding it there. If it starts then it will tell you that it was flooded. you may even be able to take the air cleaner off and look in the carb after shutting it down and see if you can see the fuel dripping.