State patrol mustang alternator

• Sponsors (?)

Did the mustangs that were used for state patrol cars come with a higher amperage alternator? If so how much and how can you tell the differance between the two?
Higher amp alternators were an available option on the 1987 - 1993 Special Service Package Mustangs, but not every agency ordered them. I've seen more SSPs without them, than with.

'87 - '91 had a 135 amp alternator available. It was an externally-regulated, Lestek unit. Very difficult to find these days.

'92 - '93 had an internally-regulated, Motorcraft, 130 amp alternator available.

heres some good info. below that might help click on links below...and there are alot of good ssp forums out there with knowledge you seek about ssp mustangs like yours....do you need a new alternator if so i would suggest to get the one you have rebuilt at a reputable alt. rebuild shop usually costs 25-30% cheaper and they use the better parts and they can tell you everything you need to know about the one you have by just looking at it.welcome to stangnet

http://www.geocities.com/bruzilla/mustang.html
http://www.sspmustang.org/FAQ.htm

Thanks for the info and the links, I will check them out. My mustang isn't a state patrol car. About ten years ago I bought a 5.0 and t5 from a junk yard and they said it was out of a '91 state patrol mustang. I still have most of the parts and was wondering if the alternator was bigger then my '90 5.0. It looks just like my alternator so I'm guessing its the same.

5.0 and t-5's were the same between normal Mustangs and patrol Mustangs. No other differences other than the blue silicone hoses and an oil cooler on the engine.

Do you run the normal Fl-1A filter or the shorter FL-400S?? If it's the 1A, you prob have a normal 5.0 driveline

I actually bought the motor and trans for a V8 ranger swap. Someone side swipped the ranger and it got parted out, I have the motor sitting in my garage. My mustang has the factory motor for now but I will use the state patrol motor as soon as I can save up for some bolt on goodies, heads, cam, intake etc.

My SSP came with the Lestek, its gone now but the regulator is still bolted to the inner fender, Blue hoses, no oil cooler, relocated trunk release, the obligatory hole in the dash and a pillar, single key and a few other things I am sure.

It is kinda funny some of the things that some SSPs have that others don't.

My SSP came with the Lestek, its gone now but the regulator is still bolted to the inner fender, Blue hoses, no oil cooler, relocated trunk release, the obligatory hole in the dash and a pillar, single key and a few other things I am sure.

Mine didn't come with a LOT of things...it was an unmarked car so there were no search lights, no roll bar, no holes in the dash or A pillar but it does have some in the trany hump/floor where a shotgun holster once resided :D

Police package vehicles have more options available than the regular production cars. These options are also available individually, rather than in grouped option packages. So it is possible to come up with a lot of different option combinations.

Mine didn't come with a LOT of things...it was an unmarked car so there were no search lights, no roll bar, no holes in the dash or A pillar but it does have some in the trany hump/floor where a shotgun holster once resided :D
Roll bars weren't a factory option. A few agencies put in aftermarket roll bars for added officer safety.

Oddly enough, the popular A-pillar spotlights weren't installed at the factory like other police package vehicles. Because of the Mustang's relatively skinny A-pillar, Ford refused to install the spotlights. They feared it would weaken the pillar, and it might colapse in a roll-over accident, opening Ford up to liability lawsuits. Spotlights were installed by the agencies' own upfitters. Maybe this is why some chose to install roll bars too.:shrug:

Roll bars weren't a factory option. A few agencies put in aftermarket roll bars for added officer safety.

Oddly enough, the popular A-pillar spotlights weren't installed at the factory like other police package vehicles. Because of the Mustang's relatively skinny A-pillar, Ford refused to install the spotlights. They feared it would weaken the pillar, and it might colapse in a roll-over accident, opening Ford up to liability lawsuits. Spotlights were installed by the agencies' own upfitters. Maybe this is why some chose to install roll bars too.:shrug:

Hmmm...i always assumed mine didn't have a bar because it was older...that's good info. I wish it had both :D

Just curious but how would you tell if you had an ex police car as your stang. cuz the carfax on mine says it was sold in an auction as a fleet vehicle b4 i bought it and i can't really think of anything else you would use a mustang for.

Hmmm...i always assumed mine didn't have a bar because it was older...that's good info. I wish it had both :D
Kentucky State Police was one of the agencies that put roll bars in their SSPs. I guess Louisville PD didn't follow the state's lead.

Just curious but how would you tell if you had an ex police car as your stang. cuz the carfax on mine says it was sold in an auction as a fleet vehicle b4 i bought it and i can't really think of anything else you would use a mustang for.
Some rental car companies did have 5.0 Mustangs. Those would also show up as fleet vehicles.

Here are a couple of links that will help you determine if your Mustang was an SSP:

www.sspmustang.org

www.specialservicemustang.net