stator (hall effect sensor) or tfi module?

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
Which one is going bad: my TFI module or my Hall Effect Sensor?

Car sometimes cranks up to 15 seconds before starting.

Runs fine until warmed up.

Once warmed up, hesitates and stumbles upon acceleration. Seems to get worse the longer the car runs.

The more I read, the more it sounds like the stator or TFI is going bad, but the car has not died on me out of the blue (at least not yet) like other people have described when their stator has gone bad.

Which problem (or both) happens only once the car is warmed up?

I have checked and replaced (or found to be good):

Fuel pressure regulator
Distributor cap/rotor
fuel pump
mass air meter

• Sponsors (?)

when my pick up coil went out(hall effect sensor) my car would just die, finally it just would not start. replaced ignition control module and ignition coil, finally found out that it was the hall effect sensor. cheap fix, but have to pull distributor.

Green95 said:
when my pick up coil went out(hall effect sensor) my car would just die, finally it just would not start. replaced ignition control module and ignition coil, finally found out that it was the hall effect sensor. cheap fix, but have to pull distributor.
huh. that doesn't sound too much like my symptoms. mine hasn't died ... yet.

I was stumped. Car would just die and then finally wouldn't start. talked to many mechanic buddies and they asked if it was the pick up coil. I changed it and that was it. fired right up and not a problem since.