Steeda Tri-Ax '03 Cobra

Aug 19, 2004
Anyone have an opinion on the Steeda Tri-ax shifter.......I want to put one on my '03 Cobra. A few of the product reviews on stangnet say they cause more interior noise????? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with the guy from Missouri. Can't go wrong with either the Pro5.0 or Tri-ax. Had a Tri-ax sitting on the bench before the Cobra made it to the garage. Went with the Tri-ax only to save a few bucks, no regrets. It does have a little more noise than stock , no problem that the radio can't handle.

I have one on my '03.

After market shifters transmit noise from the tranny into the car. There are ways to limit some of the noise. You will also feel more vibration through the shifter. This is a trade off we make to lose the rubbery and missed shifts.

I installed a gasket between the shifter base and the tranny. I also reused all of the stock shift boots.

The noise and vibs are well worth the it. The stock shifter is crap.

duner said:
I have one on my '03.

After market shifters transmit noise from the tranny into the car. There are ways to limit some of the noise. You will also feel more vibration through the shifter. This is a trade off we make to lose the rubbery and missed shifts.

I installed a gasket between the shifter base and the tranny. I also reused all of the stock shift boots.

The noise and vibs are well worth the it. The stock shifter is crap.

Any info. on the gasket you used??

1268melberger said:
Any info. on the gasket you used??

I bought a roll of gasket material from an autoparts store and cut it to fit. The gasket is approx. 4mm thick. Sorry I don't remeber the brand name.

There's a guy on svtperformance that sells them. A search should find the user name and details.

Keith

i have a 96 cobra ... not a t56 ... but i read all the threads .... i bought a Triax .. installed the steeda handle ... drove it for a week .. .and it was noisy .. .when you see the rubber insulator between the handle and the shifter ... that you remove ....you will know why its noisy .... i then installed a MGW handle .. and it has much less noise .. how much .. less than half as nooisy as the steeda ... i also went with a MGW cobra knob. which also has a rubber around the grip .. .as does the steeda ... my 2c. :nice:

also ... i love my triax ... my buddy just got a '03 and after he drove my '96 .. said his next purchase will be a triax and mgw handle....

1268melberger said:
Sounds good.....I may have to invest in a new knob.

I have a fat knob. I like the feel and the flexibility of the different grip positions. It does transmit vibs from the tranny though.

I really like the Triax handle on the lowest position. It sucks having to lean forward to reach 5th.

So here's my solution.

I just ordered a Roush shifter handle. I will most likely use my Hurst T-handle. Roush requires the use of the rubber bushings from the stock handle. I don't like the mushy shifter action. Steeda makes some aluminum bushings. These will be installed. The parts should be here this week.

Here's a pic from my buddies Cobra. My T-handle doesn't have a switch.

IMG_2144.JPG

http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/tko500shifterbushings.htm
Here's a pic of the bushings

555-7098.jpg

1268melberger said:
I just ordered a Diablosport Predator.......how do you like yours?? I will just be using the stock program without the pulleys.........
I like it. :D Seems like you pick up an additional 20 hp with the custom tune from James at RWTD. A/F is rock solid also. If you decide to do any future mods, he can also custom tune for them. :nice:

I had a pro 50 in my 03 gt and have one in my 03 cobra and love it except for the short handle,I put the new handle on it from pro 50 that brings the shifter closer to the driver with the same height and it works great , it doesnt feel like i'm reaching for the air filter under the hood when im shifting to third anymore:nice:

duner ...sweet

duner said:
I have a fat knob. I like the feel and the flexibility of the different grip positions. It does transmit vibs from the tranny though.

I really like the Triax handle on the lowest position. It sucks having to lean forward to reach 5th.

So here's my solution.

I just ordered a Roush shifter handle. I will most likely use my Hurst T-handle. Roush requires the use of the rubber bushings from the stock handle. I don't like the mushy shifter action. Steeda makes some aluminum bushings. These will be installed. The parts should be here this week.

Here's a pic from my buddies Cobra. My T-handle doesn't have a switch.

duner ... that looks sweeet ... .straight out of joe dirts 'hemi' .. before he installed the hotfoot pedal .... thats an old school look!!! somebody needs to put that in a new MACH 1 ..... :nice:

Uncle Meat said:
Please tell me you ordered it through RWTD?

U.M.

P.S. Attached a pic of my Pro 5.0 shifter with MGW hadjustable handle.

My Shifter Combo

I'm pretty new to these Forums......RWTD?? Is that the group that you said would custom tune it?? I have already ordered it from MRT........

Nice shifter......I am going to install the MGW handle on my stock unit and wait for the all new MGW shifter. Spoke to MGW today @ 6 weeks out.