Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

farbyhardcore

Oct 5, 2004
East Coast
This may seem to be a stupid question to all of you, but can some one explain to me, why almost everyone who has done any aftermarket mods to their mustang has put in a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter? What is the story with them? And on Steeda's website they have like 6 models, does anyone know which one works with an 04' GT? I'd like to apologize for this question, but I've been meaning to ask it for a long time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

~Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Cuz most people modify their cars to go fast, most people prefer to go fast in a 5-spd, most people prefer a 5-spd with quicker shifts to make them go faster.

I test drove a 02' GT that had one and it was a blast to drive. it'll be my next mod for sure.

Call Steeda for the correct shifter they have great customer service people.

Everyone upgrades due to the stock shifter being so loose\floaty and having long throws between gears. Also with a stock shifter you can bend your shift forks by slamming into the next gear too hard, where as with an aftermarket shifter it has "stops" built in to prevent the forks from being bent.

Steeda Tri-Ax
Pro-5.0
MGW
Hurst
B&M
Roush

To name a few...they all work great!

farbyhardcore said:
I asumed that do to their popularity, but what makes them so great? And is the difference between the Tri-Ax and the stock really super noticeable?
From all the people I have talked to they have told me they should of bought one and put it on the first day they got the car, and will never ever be able to drive a mustang with a stock shifter again.

I bought one over winter, I am still waiting for the snow to melt to put it on

It's a blast. I installed mine TONIGHT. My Tri-ax came in today from stangsuspension.com and I popped it in. I never lost a shift with the stock equipment but I love the click, click of the tri-ax. I also love the shorter throw, and I posted my shifter high. The first few shifts made me question the 161.00 spent. But that shorter throw and the ratchet action has me waiting for tomorrow morning to drive. Sucks I took vacation days and don't have to drive to the office. But I have to go somewhere... groceries???

To date, i personaly cant complain about the stock shifter. I just wanted to pass along a little story that expresses how long the stock throws are.

I let my buddy drive my car the one day. He has an 03 WRX with a stock shifter, which imo, isnt all too short itself. He didnt even get it up to 5th and he had already commented: "Dude, this thing has long throws! I wouldnt be able to deal with that."

I commented that i was planning on getting a SS but wasnt sure which yet.

Just goes to show ya how long the stock throws really are.

The stock deal was fine and i never missed a shift. But This Tri-ax is very clean and short on the switch. If I were to go back, I would be missing out on this = one step backwards!

Try it, it;s good for you.

Shorter throw = higher shift efforts. The Tri ax also has higher centerinl load, as most aftermarket shifters do. This makes for a very uncomfortable daily-driver shift. Couple that with the grossly added noise and it is just plain a bad mod.( IMO)

I've got the Pro 5.0 shifter...it was my first major mod. It was cheap and easy and makes the car alot more fun to drive. The stock shifter feels like it came out of a Sentra. Difference was night and day.

It is all a matter of opinion. I put a Tri-Ax on my 99 GT about 6 months ago and wish I had done it a long time ago. I love the solid feel, shorter throw and additional noise. I really like the noise I got after putting an offroad pipe on...engine sounds great. If you are going to start modding your car, then you may as well get a shifter. I wouldn't do anything inside of warranty, though. The Tri-Ax may seem a little tight at first, but will loosen up as you drive it a few months. Worst case you can throw the stock one back in, but you won't.

farbyhardcore said:
So would I be correct in saying that for everyday driving, it would be better to stick with the stock shifter?
The aftermarket shifters have a better "feel"when shifting,but do transmit more transmission noise to the inside of the car,not much but some.The stereo even turned low will more than cover this.The shorter throw will take a fraction of a second off the gear change process also.I used the Pro 5.0 shifter and made some modifications to the handle to better fit my hand position and I love it.The 2-3 shift with the stock shifter is iffy when shifting at high RPM's in a hurry,where the Pro 5.0 is almost foolproof.If you never expect to have a missed shift make you look foolish then stick with the stock shifter.If I were to do it all over again I would go with an aftremarket shifter.

I think the issue is what kind of a driver you are and what you want(need). I dont get the adrenalin-induced missed shift that some do when making spirited shifts. I don't need the high centering load to help me find a gate. I don't wrestle the shifter and allow it to guide the shifts.I understand why some would want(need ) something else. I do like a shorter throw but it must be tempered, excessive effort is not a good trade. Lastly, I would not trade any of the plusses for the added noise I have experienced from the poorly isolated aftermarket pieces. This includes B&M, 5.O, and Steeda,

farbyhardcore said:
So would I be correct in saying that for everyday driving, it would be better to stick with the stock shifter?

I have the Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter in my daily driver and I love it. AND IM A GIRL SO THE THROWS AREN'T THAT HARD (I = wuss lol). You definately feel like you have more control over the car with it, IMO. After installing it you do hear a lot more tranny whine, but there's a gasket for it out now that's suppose to reduce some of that.