Steeda Tri-X vs Stock GT Shifter

FalconGuy016

Oct 26, 2004
Northern VA
Hey

I'm thinking of buying a shifter soon once I get some stuff sold on ebay :D It seems that the Steeda Tri-X is a very popular shifter for Mustang owners. I have a question on them though...

I am a fairly tall person. Even worse, I got long legs. The current shifter is just a tiny bit too far for me in first, third, and fifth, although its really not a real problem yet. My question is how much the Steeda shifter is going to put the shifter knob FORWARD compared to stock, and if so, was it hard to cope with?

I also saw that MGM shifter on the StangNet page. Does anyone know how the "cruising" shift handle compares to stock ?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

FalconGuy016 said:
Hey

I'm thinking of buying a shifter soon once I get some stuff sold on ebay :D It seems that the Steeda Tri-X is a very popular shifter for Mustang owners. I have a question on them though...

I am a fairly tall person. Even worse, I got long legs. The current shifter is just a tiny bit too far for me in first, third, and fifth, although its really not a real problem yet. My question is how much the Steeda shifter is going to put the shifter knob FORWARD compared to stock, and if so, was it hard to cope with?

I also saw that MGM shifter on the StangNet page. Does anyone know how the "cruising" shift handle compares to stock ?

Thanks

I'm 6'4", and use a Steeda Tri-Ax at the lowest position. I think it's more comfortable, less to reach for than the stock shifter.

It's really easy to install and uninstall if you ever feel the need to go back to stock (if you think necessary for dealer work :rolleyes: ). You won't be disappointed with the Tri-Ax.

FalconGuy016 said:
Hey

Thanks

I'm a big fan of the Steeda Tri-X and like the short shift handel :nice: ... I'd by the Tri-Ax and see how it feels. If you don't like the Tri-Ax handle style leave the Tri-Ax in place and just buy another handle / knob....

I have the Steeda and have no complaints. As said before it has two settings for shifter handle height. The high setting is pretty close to stock height. However, I just recently drove my buddies snake with the MGW shifter and I am very impressed. I am seriously thinking of buying that one soon. :nice:

It was the blue handle (shorter). He also has the red one (longer) but I did not get to drive it with that one on. MGW was selling the shifter with both handles as a special. I don't know if they are doing it anymore though.

geeze im 5'10" and i have no problem shifting into 5th. I would consider myself driving normal to race style though. My seat is at a normal distance with the perfect amount of room for me to shift and drive fine.

I dont drive gansta with the seat reclined and all the way back, so i have no problem hitting every shift.

My seat is in a normal position as well. I never have had a problem shifting I just think the shifter could be back a few inches. IMO I could see how a tall guy that has to have the seat all the way back and reclined to allow for his size would have issues.