steeda tune questions

Slapyo

Admin Dude
Feb 8, 2003
Anaheim, CA
i searched but couldn't find anything on this. i see on the steeda site they offer 3.27, 3.55, and 3.73 calibrations on the steeda tune. what about 4.10s? do they offer it but it is not listed on the site? i'm definitly going to go with 4.10s in my car when i get em. but with the recent posts about chips and the steeda tune it got me thinking of which one i should get. i'm stuck between the steeda tune and the diablosport chip. my friend is a diablosport tuner and i can get that reflashed anytime i add a new mod. but with the steeda tune, i should probably wait and make that my last mod so i don't have to get it done again correct? do they take into account your specific mods or is it a general tune? thanks.

http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/NAcalibration.htm

• Sponsors (?)

Ford doesn't want you to put 4.10's in, so Steeda doesn't offer it in their tune. but you can just get a speedcal in addition to the 4.10's and have the Steeda tune. i think Cobra Killer was working on his own tune that included the 4.10's, but i'm not sure.

DBMSTNG said:
Ford doesn't want you to put 4.10's in, so Steeda doesn't offer it in their tune. but you can just get a speedcal in addition to the 4.10's and have the Steeda tune. i think Cobra Killer was working on his own tune that included the 4.10's, but i'm not sure.

They don't offer 4:10's because it was produced in conjunction with ford. Ford's reasonings were for noise, vibration and fuel consumption, let alone wear from having it running at higher RPM all the time. Regardless, a speedcal will fix that if you want 4:10's. You will be running out of gear on the 1/4 mile though. The steeda tune can take major mods in the form of intake manifolds, smaller blower pulley's, boost pipe, full exhaust mods, even intercoolers. The only thing ya can't really do with out a new tune is get cams, and even then, you'd have to retune most other tunes as well. The fact that it adapts to the previously mentioned mods with out a reflash is noteworthy in itself. The tune offers value.

As for diablosport. I'm friends with a guy that runs a dyno and he ended up getting the equipement to burn diablosport chips too. He can't stand it. It's far too time consuming and if ya have to get it reburned for every mod ya do, whats the point. Not only that it's not adaptable to different weather. Old technology. He's switching to SCT in the spring. If I were you I'd look into EFI, SCT or the Steeda tune. Don't waste your time with a burned chip.

I dropped the Steeda tune for the SCT tune. The process is the same for all tunes (Diablo, Steeda, SCT). The tuner must have access the either the computer (Steeda) or the chip (Diablo,SCT) to make changes. When I got the Steeda tune the SCT was not available. I had issues with the Steeda tune (detontaion, surging). Dario just blamed the installer. Funny, there is an article in 5.0 about a black Mustang Cobra he built for a customer in Calif. The customer had his car shipped from Calif to Fl. So my tuner has a damn good reputation. My tuner couldn't make changes (not legally anyway). I would have to send it back to Steeda for changes. My tuner uses SCT. He flashed the computer back to stock and added the SCT chip. Put it on the dyno, tuned it. All issues are now gone. The car runs absolutely perfect. Whatever method you use, be sure the tuner can make changes.

Oh yeah, SCT can be set for 4.10s

so steeda would be more of a general tune, not taking into account specific mods. but cobra killer would be able to do that? i'm liking the tune more and more. although with the diablosport chip my friend and i don't mind reflashing the chip for each new mod. something fun for us to do, plus he just got a dyno so that is cool. but i do like the idea of the tune. any idea on what cobra killer charges, and what the turn around time on your ecu is?

Slapyo said:
so steeda would be more of a general tune, not taking into account specific mods. but cobra killer would be able to do that? i'm liking the tune more and more. although with the diablosport chip my friend and i don't mind reflashing the chip for each new mod. something fun for us to do, plus he just got a dyno so that is cool. but i do like the idea of the tune. any idea on what cobra killer charges, and what the turn around time on your ecu is?

Yeah, Steeda calls it an adaptive tune. But as I discovered one sizie does not fit all. The Steeda flash is great if the tuner can make changes to it. That is very important.

I just got the Steeda tune. I installed it myself (very easy ). I do like the fact that it is not a piggy back type of chip. The engine runs smoother and the power seems more even from idle to WOT. I did get the cold air intake as well. Several posts say cai's are a waste of money but the combonation seems to work well. I have 3:73 with a speed cal so no gear change tune was needed. I talked to Jason on the phone at Steeda and he was very helpful. I have had other chips before in other Mustangs and I feel that this is more noticeable and I had the least ammount of problems so far. Other chips I had to send back ( tuned wrong, did not work...). They did recoment that I put the orig maf on and take off the C&L 80mm unit. I think the car just all around runs better.

I have the Steeda tune currently. I really like it, but I will have to ditch it when I get my cams installed. Its only adaptive to a point. I'm taking a drive to Apten in St. Louis to get my car dyno tuned with SCT software.

If your car is strictly a "bolt-on" car, I'd go with Steeda and a Speedcal or Cobra Killers tune since he can adjust for your 4.10s.

Slapyo said:

You might get a quicker answer here:
http://www.modularmustangs.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=33

Ive got the steeda tune,3.73.It works well, better than any chip Ive ever used.Ive used superchips ,diablo both sent back countless times.For a bolt on car steeda is the way to go.If your considering cams the car has to be tuned on the rollers.