Steeda Ultralight Springs

larry3828

Nov 20, 2006
Arlington, VA
I finally had my new Steeda Ultralights installed last week along with the Steeda UDPs. At first it didn't look like they lowered the car at all, but then I realized it was about an inch in front and about an inch and a half in back, but now I'm noticing something else and I wonder if anyone else who has these springs is noticing this.

I seem to be getting a lot of front to rear jounciness over the bumps that I didn't get before or at least it seems more exagerated than before. It's hard to explain but it's almost as if the springs don't really match up that well with the stock struts and shocks. Has anyone else seen this problem or am I just going nuts? The ride is not hard, it just bounces more than before like it's not fully in control.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to hear about your ride suffering. That is one reason I'm looking into buying a complete kit(Roush Stage 3). All the parts are made to compliment eachother. To me most aggressive lowering springs do just that...lower it and not improve the handling. If I were to just go the spring route, I've read lots of good stuff about the FRPP "K" springs.

this sounds trivial, but did you get the car alligned. i have the same springs with 275's up front with no problems.

I guess I can understand how it might sound trivial to you, but so far I've spent over $2000 on mods and I'd like to think I'm improving my car and not making it worse.

They did re-align the car after installing the springs and, in fact, they said they had to add some camber bolts to make it align properly. I paid over $600 to have the springs and udp's installed and the alignment done, so it bothers me that it bounces around more than it did with the stock springs on.

I have the same springs and stock struts and I don't have any complaints. I can hardly tell a difference in the ride quality even over RR tracks. I can only think that you have either a bad install or bad springs. Good luck.

I guess I can understand how it might sound trivial to you, but so far I've spent over $2000 on mods and I'd like to think I'm improving my car and not making it worse.

They did re-align the car after installing the springs and, in fact, they said they had to add some camber bolts to make it align properly. I paid over $600 to have the springs and udp's installed and the alignment done, so it bothers me that it bounces around more than it did with the stock springs on.

wow i could see why you are getting mad. who did the work, the reason that i ask is because if the machine that the shop used is an older one that that could be the reason. also i did not need the camber bolts. if i were you i would try to take it to another shop. what is another fifty bucks as long as it gets fixed. i dont know where you live but if you are close to sc i could help you out. have you noticed awkward tire wear.

I have the same springs on order, they should be here tomorrow morning. Now I am wondering if I should have gone with the stiffer springs. Has anyone put these on a convertible? For whatever reason the factory uses different springs and shocks on the convertibles than the coupes but I can't find any lowering springs made specifically for a convertible.

Here is my opinion, I have had experienace of doing it wrong on other projects so I'm just trying to save you guys time and money in the long run. --- I recently installed the Ultra lights with Steeda's Pro Action Struts/Shocks and HVY duty strut bushings = excellent results :nice:

Most likely the stock struts/shocks are unable to handle the rebound rate of the new higher rated springs and will be totally wore out in about 10k miles, so upgrade the to performance shocks and struts while everything is already apart... another issue is the rubber bump stops on top of the axle housing needs to be trimmed at least 1.5" to allow for clearance between the housing and the frame since the car is now lower.

For more info call Steeda and ask about the Steeda Pro Action Struts and shocks, they are designed especially for the Ultra light springs at an affordable price.
http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_non-adjustable_shocks.php
http://www.steeda.com/products/heavy_duty_upper_strut_mounts_street.php

steeda_shocks_550.jpg

upper_strut_mount_s197_550.jpg

BTW both the ROUSH and Steeda springs are made by H&R but to there spec's so your getting great quality. :nice:

enjoy!!

HELP!!!! This might be a really stupid question but I don't want to do this job twice. My springs came in and I plan on installing them in the morning. I looked over the instructions and I had enough time to take the old ones out which went well, but I have a question about the new springs in the rear. Unlike the stock springs, one end of the spring is considerably larger than the other. I am guessing that the bigger end goes up but I am not positive about this. Anyone? :shrug:

Here is my opinion, I have had experienace of doing it wrong on other projects so I'm just trying to save you guys time and money in the long run. --- I recently installed the Ultra lights with Steeda's Pro Action Struts/Shocks and HVY duty strut bushings = excellent results :nice:

Most likely the stock struts/shocks are unable to handle the rebound rate of the new higher rated springs and will be totally wore out in about 10k miles, so upgrade the to performance shocks and struts while everything is already apart... another issue is the rubber bump stops on top of the axle housing needs to be trimmed at least 1.5" to allow for clearance between the housing and the frame since the car is now lower.

For more info call Steeda and ask about the Steeda Pro Action Struts and shocks, they are designed especially for the Ultra light springs at an affordable price.
http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_non-adjustable_shocks.php
http://www.steeda.com/products/heavy_duty_upper_strut_mounts_street.php

steeda_shocks_550.jpg

upper_strut_mount_s197_550.jpg

BTW both the ROUSH and Steeda springs are made by H&R but to there spec's so your getting great quality. :nice:

enjoy!!

Thanks, Bullitt2343, that's the kind of info I was looking for. As I said before, it does feel like the stock struts/shocks just can't handle these springs. Thanks again for the info. BTW, I'm in Virginia and I got the work done at Springfield Motorsports in Lorton, VA.

I just installed the Steeda Sport Springs, ProAction shocks, and HD strut Mounts as well with excellent results - real quality pieces, very pleased with the ride and handling.

MickeysOTP,

Spring orientation:

The fronts will not be a mystery since the narrow end will only fit on top and the wider end on the bottom.

The Rears should have the tighter wound coil up into the body, with the looser wound on the axel side. Here is an excellent reference/write up that I used:

http://forums.***********.net/showthread.php?t=54565

Good luck!