Steel Vs. Fiberglass Cowl Hoods

Fordfreak93

Mustang Master
Mar 12, 2009
Mooresville, NC
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Following - I do not want fiberglass either with hood pins, a ripped out hood latch, cowl damage and having to clean my front seats from the excitement.

Alrighty then, guess nobody has a steel cowl hood :shrug: Let's talk about fiberglass ones then. Cervini's and HO Fibertrends are the best? And you have to run hood pins when going fiberglass? That was the main reason I was looking for a steel one, I don't want hood pins. After seeing more pics of the steel cowl hoods on LMR and CJ's I am concerned with the bracing underneath not allowing enough clearance. It looks like the hood sticks up 2" above the bracing but the bracing remains at stock height. I would hate to spend $500 and have to cut up a new hood. That's why I wanted some feedback of people who actually have them. Anybody?

The steel hood is supposed to be safer too. It wrinkles up nice in a front end collision. The fiberglass ones have been known on occassion to tear at the hinges, blow through the glass and hit you in the face. It is a rare occassion I admit.

Kurt

Yeah, but do you really trust any glass hood without pins? I've heard horror stories...
My car came with a glass hood with latch. Not sure why,the car was a very near
stock 302. A year later when I put in the 427,it was one less expense for me.
I have never had a problem with the hood,other then it is ugly as sin.

There is nothing wrong with a glass hood and the factory latch if you don’t buy a junk hood. The Cervinis stuff has a finished underside and the hardware built into the hood is plenty sturdy. Other than losing a few pounds you’d never know the difference.

That said, if weight is of no concern to you, the steel cowls seem to have a better fit out of the box than fiberglass stuff does.

I’ve seen several 1.5-2” steel hoods. I’ve had great luck with fiberglass as long as you stick to something that uses the factory latch and safety.

I run a cervini's 1.5 cowl hood.
It's not very light and has the catch.
I think other issues that arise from using a cheap hood with no catch is that they are extremely light and flexible, rumor has it that some flex so much under high speed that they can come unhooked.

I think hoods are over rated. If it wasn't so much trouble, i'd go back to the stock hood.
Thankfully I only bought the 1.5, I think if it were more, i'd really be hating it.

Are there any known brands of steel replacement hoods out there with the stock height and fit well? My painter says it would be much cheaper to replace my hood rather than fix the dents in my stocker. I’m not finding any aftermarket hoods that I like.

Are there any known brands of steel replacement hoods out there with the stock height and fit well? My painter says it would be much cheaper to replace my hood rather than fix the dents in my stocker. I’m not finding any aftermarket hoods that I like.

If you aren't opposed to fiberglass, you can get an HO Fibertrends...

http://www.hofibertrends.com/1987-1993stockfiberglasshood.aspx

Here is a pic of it on my car...

image_zpsmmatdolw-jpg.548136.jpg