Steering Column Help

Derk92

Jul 15, 2012
I have a '92 Mustang GT and the steering column has a lot of play in the wheel and the steering wheel can move towards the driver and away almost like it is a little telescopic. Any ideas on any parts to replace or ways to fix this? I can provide a more detailed description of symptoms if needed and maybe pictures.

• Sponsors (?)

Check the column to frame bolts, and the screws behind the turn signal (the latter regards non-air-bag cars but might apply to air bag cars as well).

Check the column to frame bolts, and the screws behind the turn signal (the latter regards non-air-bag cars but might apply to air bag cars as well).
I did poorly to describe the issue. the whole steering shaft is insecure and moveable from where it connects to the rack and pinion to the steering wheel itself. i can pull the steering wheel towards myself about half an inch. I took it to a shop to have other work done and i asked about it and they said that it the bushing in the housing where the shaft goes through the firewall could be bad. i looked at it and it appears that there is no bushing there anymore. Could that possibly have anything to do with the play in the wheel?

I will look into the bolts you mentioned so far.