Steering Rack and Tie Rod Replacement

coachpete

Apr 16, 2008
Good Morning All,

I took my 86 gt to my local garage over the past weekend and they informed me that my steering rack was leaking and needed to be replaced and in addition I need a new right inner tie rod replacement. I have found a used steering rack and have ordered the tie rod but I would like to do the replacement myself and any instructions you guys might have for me would be a great help.

• Sponsors (?)

I suggest that you buy a chiltons/haynes manual for your car. They are available at most auto parts stores and are specific to your generation fox. For 15-20 bucks...they are an excellent resource for any project.

As for the tie rod. It should be pretty straight forward.

1. Jack the car up onto some jackstands and take off the wheels.

2. Loosen the nut on the inner tie rod end that holds the outer end tight. (Note the number of visible threads or turns of the nut. This will let you get the car close enough to drive to an alignment shop after the job is done.)

3. Disconnect the outer tie rod end from the spindle.

4. Take the boot off the rack that connects to the inner tie rod.

5. For this next step you will most likely need a special tool to loosen the inners. You can probably rent it at an autoparts store. Use this to remove the inners.

6. Reinstall the new inners and replace the boots. The clamps can be a PITA so be carefull or just get new clamps.

7. Put the rest of it back together.

as for the steering rack...cant help you there b/c i've never done one. Cant be that hard though. get a chiltons manual and go at it.

Thanks

Thanks but how about the installation of a new steering rack? I purchased the steering rack this morning and it has new inner tie rods on the rack but I need to know how to remove and replace the steering rack thanks!

Thanks but how about the installation of a new steering rack? I purchased the steering rack this morning and it has new inner tie rods on the rack but I need to know how to remove and replace the steering rack thanks!

I was gonna say, a new rack will come with new inners. Buy new outers too.

Jack the car up and remove the front wheels.

Disconnect the outer tie rods from the spindles.

Disconnect the steering shaft from the steering rack.

Disconnect the threaded fluid lines that run fluid to and from the rack. (This is right below where the steering shaft connects to it. It will get messy because of the fluid.)

Unbolt the two nuts and bolts that hold the rack to the K-member. You will need a long pry bar or screwdriver to persuade the rack to come off the rods on the K-member. Spraying them down with WD40 will help.

Installing it, will go in reverse. This isn't a bad job, just have a friend help you if you still aren't sure.