steering rack bushing install help

91gtcoupe

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2002
Portland, Oregon
So i'm installing some new polyurethane steering rack bushings on my car from maxiumum motorsports. I've got the old rubber ones out and i've got 3 of the 4 new bushings partially in. But for the last two hours I've been trying to get them to go all the way in and get the fourth one in and I can't do it! I've tried everything I can think of including huge hammers and grease. That medal rod thingy that goes through the middle isn't making it any easier. Does anybody have any install tips? How did you guys do it?

• Sponsors (?)

91gtcoupe said:
So i'm installing some new polyurethane steering rack bushings on my car from maxiumum motorsports. I've got the old rubber ones out and i've got 3 of the 4 new bushings partially in. But for the last two hours I've been trying to get them to go all the way in and get the fourth one in and I can't do it! I've tried everything I can think of including huge hammers and grease. That medal rod thingy that goes through the middle isn't making it any easier. Does anybody have any install tips? How did you guys do it?

Hold up, and make sure that you are putting these in per the directions, although they should be all the same. Make sure you have not raised a ridge on the bushing. Make sure the rack sleeve is clean etc.

If they are in the right places, try swapping the one that won't fit to another location. If that does not help, just take some sandpaper and carefully trim the offending unit to fit. You could open up the rack sleeve with a brake hone if you had to.

These bushings are usually turned from stock, or molded on a low level production process and the finished sizes may vary some, from my experience with poly suspension bushings.