steering rack differences

dagenham

May 23, 2010
Duncannon PA
How many different racks are there for the fox bodies?? I see both Ford and TRW listed. Next question is how do I know which one I have on the car?? I dont want to wind up with the wrong steering ratio or something like that.

• Sponsors (?)

If I remember one has an aluminum housing and one is not. I will tell you that I bought a quick ratio power rack from Auto Zone and replaced my leaking rack and I love the thing. One of the best things I ever bought for it. Same price, just quick ratio.

Also found this info: Difference between TRW and Ford rack is the housing, one had all cast alum. housing (Ford) and the other had a steel and alum. housing (TRW) Each one had different hose inlet threads but now most replacement racks come with correct adapters to interchange the two types.

Despite all the differences, here's what you need to know: If you're driving an '87-93 5.0, you want the "sport suspension" or "performance" rack, 15:1 ratio, 2.25 or 2.5 turns lock to lock. You do NOT want the 3 turns, 18:1 ratio rack. The only difference between the 2.25 and 2.5 racks is the thickness of the rack travel limiters installed at the inner ends of the tie rods, other than that they're identical. The 2.25 units were used in the 91-93 cars with 16-inch wheels.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, the 3.0 turn racks are like driving a bus. I have a really scuzzy original '89 GT rack I could get a photo of if you need something for reference.

The early SVOs had a TRW rack IIRC. I can't remember if it was the whole '84 model year or just early production up to around December '83(as with the 'slapper bar' cars). I see an '84-85 in your avatar...

There is one from an '87 gt on c/l that is supposed to only have 100 miles on it but you know how that is, does it really and is it really for a gt. It is out of the car so I cant count turns lock to lock.
Thanks, 65Shelby, no this isnt for the svo in my avatar, its for my wife's 91 5.0 LX, but you are right about the trw racks in the earier svo's

Despite all the differences, here's what you need to know: If you're driving an '87-93 5.0, you want the "sport suspension" or "performance" rack, 15:1 ratio, 2.25 or 2.5 turns lock to lock. You do NOT want the 3 turns, 18:1 ratio rack. The only difference between the 2.25 and 2.5 racks is the thickness of the rack travel limiters installed at the inner ends of the tie rods, other than that they're identical. The 2.25 units were used in the 91-93 cars with 16-inch wheels.
Good info on the steering stops. I wondered that when I ordered mine. My old cars, my 79 Capris both have TRW racks.