Steering Setup In A 66 Coupe

xj220

Founding Member
Sep 15, 2000
BLUF: Does the steering column have to mount to the firewall or is the dash mount only safe enough (using a single u-joint)? Using a double u-joint, I can get a firewall mount but the set screws don't line up with the steering column or box holes, is that ok?

So here's where I'm at now with my steering situation. I have some options but wanted your opinions as to the strength and safety of my plans. I have a FR steering box, FR tilt column and am using the FR swivel mount for the firewall. I've attached some pics to show what I'm dealing with. Using these three, the steering column and steering box do not line up so I can't use a single u-joint (I can if I don't physically mount the steering column to the firewall which seems sketchy to me). The only option I have found to make all three work is to use a double u-joint to connect the two. However, using the double u-joint I have to push the column and steering box as close together as possible resulting in the set screws not lining up with the holes. I can tighten them down appropriately but that's it. Is this double u-joint setup safe? Or is the single u-joint setup safe even though it doesn't mount to the firewall?

I've been in contact with FR and they said it should be fine but since it's steering I want warm and fuzzies.

Attachments

• IMG_5820.JPG
    IMG_5820.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Normal Mount.JPG
    Normal Mount.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Sponsors (?)

I don't see a problem with it in this configuration. The individual joints aren't asked to operate at extreme angles, so you should be fine.