steering wheel crooked after rack bushing install???

DerekStangGT

My package is in the mail!
Feb 18, 2003
i just installed a set of MM Aluminum rack bushings (nice difference BTW) and now the steering wheel is crooked. it's either the rack that i need to re-align, or it could be the steering linkage, since i had to remove the bolt that holds the shaft to the rack. does anyone have any experiance in which it might be? Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

You need an alignment.

What happened is the stock rubber bushings had give in them, so the rack would shift around and give the appearance of being straight. Now that you have the rack bushings in there is no movement, and the bushings are solidly mounted (there is no "adjustment", they line up with the guide pin "bushings" and don't go anywhere!).

Only way the wheel cool be clocked off because you removed the lower shaft pinch bolt is if you spun the steering wheel 360 degrees without it connected...and if you did that then you surely damaged the clockspring.

You need an alignment.

What happened is the stock rubber bushings had give in them, so the rack would shift around and give the appearance of being straight. Now that you have the rack bushings in there is no movement, and the bushings are solidly mounted (there is no "adjustment", they line up with the guide pin "bushings" and don't go anywhere!).

Only way the wheel cool be clocked off because you removed the lower shaft pinch bolt is if you spun the steering wheel 360 degrees without it connected...and if you did that then you surely damaged the clockspring.

i didnt rotate the shaft while the lower bolt was out. all i did was pull the shaft up and away from the rack and let it hang. thats why im so perplexed as to how the wheel could be so crooked. its a good 20* off

i didnt rotate the shaft while the lower bolt was out. all i did was pull the shaft up and away from the rack and let it hang. thats why im so perplexed as to how the wheel could be so crooked. its a good 20* off

Like I said, your rack was shifted over to the side with the rubber bushings...aluminum bushings properly locate the rack, so now it's off! You just need the toe adjusted, find some place that will just do the toe for less cash or something.

Like I said, your rack was shifted over to the side with the rubber bushings...aluminum bushings properly locate the rack, so now it's off! You just need the toe adjusted, find some place that will just do the toe for less cash or something.

i wanted to avoid getting an alignment though b/c i would have to pay for it. the rack we have at work is old and waaaay too steep to get my car onto. i hate having to pay for stuff i can do myself... oh well