Steering Wheel Installation?

Rush1204

Mar 2, 2009
Hey there. I came home today and a package from Chicago Parts and Sound was on my doorstep; it was the SVT steering wheel that I ordered a few days ago. The only problem is, there were no installation instructions included and I can't seem to find them anywhere online. I don't imagine it's that difficult, but I'd rather be safe. And I don't feel like having the airbag blow up in my face :eek: Sorry if this is a re-post, but I searched the forum and couldn't find anything. Any help?

Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-3600-C]

• Sponsors (?)

1. disconnect battery
2. remove airbag fuse
3. wait 15 minutes
4. remove 2 bolts on back of steering wheel (save the plugs covering the bolts)
5. remove airbag (disconnect electrical connections-no cutting required)
6. remove nut holding steering wheel on (large nut-you may need to purchase a socket to fit)
7. my steering wheel came off easy but you may need a puller
8. reassemble :nice:

Should take about an hour. Longer if you need to get the socket half way thru. I don't recall the size.

while you are doing this, DO NOT spin the steering wheel. you dont want to get the airbag clockspring upset. you want to have the wheels straight before removal as well, just to help align the new wheel.

You don't need to worry about any of that. On the back side of the steering wheel pop out the 2 plugs and remove the bolts that are behind the plugs. pull the horn switch/airbag out. Disconnect the plug that goes to the horn switch/airbag. Remove the wiring plugs to the cruise control switches, then the big nut that holds the steering wheel on. Drop the new wheel on and reassemble. Use a drop of red Loctite on the nut's threads before tightening. You DO NOT have to worry about the airbag going off because it doesn't get any power unless the switches up front on the car are closed which doesn't happen unless you are in an accident.

This takes 5-10 minutes.

Sorry for the thread, but what is so special about this Steering Wheel, especially for the price $425? I looked at a picture of it from the link and personally I think the Steering Wheel that I have on my 05 is just as nice. Mine has the brushed aluminum spokes vs the black spokes. Am I missing something or is my steering wheel an upgrade that came with the Interior Upgrade Package?