Step by Step after first fire!!!!!

RIXX93GT

Founding Member
Oct 10, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Okay I wanna be ready for that great moment when I light the fire in my new 347.
So here I am, new motor and I turn the key and it fires up but is running rough. What steps do I go through in what order to PROPERLY set things up.

Set Timing?
Idle?
TPS sensor voltage?
Fuel PSI ?
Can any of this be done before I turn the key?
I know all this needs to be done but what is the logical order and any tips or techniques to help me safely fire this mutha up?
Heres a short list of new engine items:
stock block, 347 forged internals balanced, 190lph pump, kirban fpr, 75mm accufab, 76mm c&l maf, 30#inj., afr185's, 1 5/8 bbk's, FTI custom cam, edelbrock rpm intake
Is it a necessity to run to the first chassis Dyno to tune it up?
sorry for all the questions, but Im getting antsy.

• Sponsors (?)

start up

If it started up things are close. Its best to get some heat in the engine. You can turn the idle up a bit to keep it idleing. Check your fuel pressure and set to about 40psi. Stop engine and pull timing or spout connector and ster timing at least 10 or 12. Once the engine warms up you can set the idle and then check the tps. set to .990 to .998. This will get you close enough to break in engine and then take to dyno
Bill

93VertLX said:
Sounds like a good list you have, I really dont have anything to add, but where in Dayton are you from? I am in Centerville, but at UC during the week.
Im from Vandalia, I think we have talked before on the Dayton Stang forum. I have to come to this forum to get a decent amount of input. My moter is over at Performance Clinic right now getting the short block machined and buttoned up. My heads have to wait for the tax man. Im hoping to get this thing on the road again for the spring. Maybe everyone in the Dayton area can pull together for a Mustang event this year, that would be great huh? :D

RIXX93GT said:
Im from Vandalia, I think we have talked before on the Dayton Stang forum. I have to come to this forum to get a decent amount of input. My moter is over at Performance Clinic right now getting the short block machined and buttoned up. My heads have to wait for the tax man. Im hoping to get this thing on the road again for the spring. Maybe everyone in the Dayton area can pull together for a Mustang event this year, that would be great huh? :D
Sure would, I am building my motor when I am home for Srping break. I am doing Twisted Wedge heads, street heat intake, 24 lb injecors, 76 mm mass air, 70 mm throttle body and a TFS stage 1 cam. Should be a nice combo for a budget build!