Steps For installing Fuel Pump?

• Sponsors (?)

Take out the 3 screws at the filler neck top (inside the fuel door)

Take out the 4 screws that hold a rubber piece to the bottom of the trunk. The filler neck goes through this. You will notice it when u get under the car.

Undo the straps holding the tank, use a jack or a couple budies to support the weight and lower it about half way down. Next disconect the electrical stuff, and disconect the 2 fuel lines that attatch to the fuel pump. You may need a fuel line disconect tool, I did it carefully with a small screw driver.

Pull the filler neck out of the tank, it just pulls out and pops back in.

Lower the tank the rest of the way down. Take out the pump. There is a metal ring you need to hit and it will spin, letting the pump come free.

Pull the pump assembly out, switch out the pump itself. Then just repeat the steps backwards.

That rubber piece i talked about, might not hae to come out, now that i think about it. It does only take a min to get it off and on though.

I reccomend emptying the tank at this point, to make it easier getting it into place.

Jesse..pretty much nails it... :D

You may want to be extra careful with the thick gasket on the filler tube going into the tank...they tend to leak?? I shot mine up good with WD40 and was careful with it,,,especially after reading post on them leaking afterwards...mine didnt, maybe i lucked out...May wanna get that gasket from Ford before you rip into it???

RIO5.0 said:
Jesse..pretty much nails it... :D

You may want to be extra careful with the thick gasket on the filler tube going into the tank...they tend to leak?? I shot mine up good with WD40 and was careful with it,,,especially after reading post on them leaking afterwards...mine didnt, maybe i lucked out...May wanna get that gasket from Ford before you rip into it???

Is the concern that is will leak when its full??

I wasnt very careful with mine, and i think i ripped it slightly in one section. I did RTV up that section so hopefully it doesnt leak. I never fill my tank anyways. But if i do have to change it, dropping the tank is easy enough.

like said before watch the rubber filler tube gasket. it sucks bad, so bad. they need to shoot the fool who thought that up instead of the good old hose clamp on a tube style. It took me about 1 hour and many,many foul words and furious anger to get the new one in.