Steve's Megasquirt/tunerstudio Help Thread

• Sponsors (?)

nothing to worry about, it looks bad in the log until you add in injector duty cycle to see how much fuel its demanding. The overboost protection is set to 100kpa so as soon as you went into boost the fuel cut. I will reset this for around 13psi for you, it will read 190kpa... I also did some simple tuning and ran it through my ve analyzer, added another 8% fuel in the boost area. not sure if it will need the extra fuel or not until you can get a datalog with boost on it.

revised tune attached

Attachments

• 5-26-17 Matt revised tune.msq
    113.5 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: 1 user
nothing to worry about, it looks bad in the log until you add in injector duty cycle to see how much fuel its demanding. The overboost protection is set to 100kpa so as soon as you went into boost the fuel cut. I will reset this for around 13psi for you, it will read 190kpa... I also did some simple tuning and ran it through my ve analyzer, added another 8% fuel in the boost area. not sure if it will need the extra fuel or not until you can 'get a datalog with boost on it.

revised tune attached
Wow, I'm glad it was the overboost cut and not something else. Thanks again bro!!

Car drove great. According to the data I look really rich as soon as I hit the 90kpa range and even more rich in boost. I didn't hit must boost but you can get an idea.

Attachments

• 2017-05-27_11.28.18.msl
    911.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 2017-05-27_11.32.58.msl
    1 MB · Views: 123
ok I adjusted the AE settings and the fuel table, basically took out about 10% fuel for now. another datalog will let us get the table closer. this time get the rpms up hold the bypass open like we talked about and let it eat I need to see a pull, even 2nd gear will do.

Attachments

• 2017-05-27_16.45.05 Matt tune.msq
    113.5 KB · Views: 122
Yeah I have a BS3 in my 93 however I have ZERO tuning experience so I cant say if it is similar or not.

Long story short is the car was tuned on E85 and made great power, I moved to north Idaho and the 1 station that sold E85 no longer sells it.

So the "closest" place is 3 hours away. Car has been sitting :(

Ok, I'm a moron and screwed up Steve's tune by going against his advice and used VE autotune. I screwed up my tune some how. Please bail me out of this jam bro!!
Data from this morning with car running like poo

Attachments

• 2017-05-30_08.15.27.msl
    103.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 2017-05-30_08.25.08.msl
    1 MB · Views: 115
OK Matt here is the newest revision of the tune, using the info from the two good logs you got me I adjusted the VE table. I'm gonna warn you compared to the table you have now its gonna look scary. I pulled about 25% from most of the boost table, this should get you from 7.8AFR up into the 11.5 range.
BTW the car made 6.6psi on the logs you sent me that's 148KPA or so... looks good right now. your timing is super conservative so nothing to worry about.

Attachments

• 2017-05-30 Matt tune rev3.msq
    113.4 KB · Views: 125
OK Matt here is the newest revision of the tune, using the info from the two good logs you got me I adjusted the VE table. I'm gonna warn you compared to the table you have now its gonna look scary. I pulled about 25% from most of the boost table, this should get you from 7.8AFR up into the 11.5 range.
BTW the car made 6.6psi on the logs you sent me that's 148KPA or so... looks good right now. your timing is super conservative so nothing to worry about.
Thanks bro!!! :cheers:

Ok, I'm a moron and screwed up Steve's tune by going against his advice and used VE autotune. I screwed up my tune some how. Please bail me out of this jam bro!!
Data from this morning with car running like poo
Ok, update about this issue I posted about. What really happened was not the fault of VE autotune, it was that my PCV came out of my lower intake. Popped it back in and all is well again :nice:

If you are going to use the auto tune.

-Set lower rpm value to 1200 so it won't affect idle.
-Set coolant to 180*
-Set lower kpa value to 25
-Set higher kpa value to 90

I always suggest tuning fuel in the idle and wot area manually or with 've analyzer in the megalog viewer.

Good luck and I'm glad it was something simple!

If you are going to use the auto tune.

-Set lower rpm value to 1200 so it won't affect idle.
-Set coolant to 180*
-Set lower kpa value to 25
-Set higher kpa value to 90

I always suggest tuning fuel in the idle and wot area manually or with 've analyzer in the megalog viewer.

Good luck and I'm glad it was something simple!
Thank you for all your help Steve especially when it's late at night like last night. Glad my stalling was as simple as my issue with the PCV popping out. I drove the car to work today after unkinking my MAP hose and got a 20 minute data log on my commute to work. I don't really go over 45 mph since it's all back roads but it's a lot of running through the gears and cruising. At cruise I'm running at 13.3'ish AFR and I hit 139kpa which hit 9.9afr. I'm trying to make some adjustments to the fuel table myself but I will send you the data in a bit. I used the VE Analyze to see where it suggests to add/subtract fuel as a guide to make adjustments.

On another note I'm seeing many suggestions to not have EGO correction on while tuning the VE Fuel table. It's something to have on AFTER the table is set. Thoughts?

Need some help. Long time stang owner and been wrenching on them (mainly Fox body versions) for nearly 25 years. Heck, I joined this forum 11 years ago although have not been very active. I know my way around cars but my latest project is just taking forever. Having a family pulling me in different directions doesn't help, but this is insane. It's been several years in the making and just beyond frustrating at this point.

It's a 93 Cobra with twin turbo built 347 and 5 speed and of course MS ECU. Specifically, I bought the MegaSquirt-II V3.57 plug and play and have full version of Tuner Studio and Mega Log Viewer installed on my laptop. I have been working with someone experienced with MS remotely over the past few years, but just seem to be having the same issue no matter what we do. I mean, I've literally done just about everything imaginable to this car to figure it out and it continues to run poorly. By that I mean, it lays over under load, misses and will not build boost at all. It starts up and idles steady aside from some slight miss here and there. Idle fuel pressure is around 42 psi. Off the top of my head, this is what I've been through...

* Engine was freshly built before install (has minimal test miles on it perhaps 10-20 miles at most over the last few years)
* Thought I washed the rings out after a number of attempted starts before determining fuel constant was way off for my injectors (I honestly thought that was pre-set in the tune since I gave them my injector size- thinking back to my days of running an AFM PMS, doh)
* Have since verified I have consistent cranking compression (120-130psi warm which seems lower than I'd expect but all cylinders are extremely close to one another) and low (<5%) leakdown
* Thought maybe cam was retarded (FTI custom ground for my setup), but verified it's correctly installed straight up
* Correctly set crank timing using piston stop (was off a few degrees initially)
* Replaced spark plug wires (Livewires) although even though they're new if they lay too close to exhaust, they will arc (I've had to tie strap them away from the manifold)
* Replaced spark plugs (3-4 times now)
* Car has historically run rich since initial tune, but is much improved in latest tune
* Calibrated Wideband (twice)
* Smoke tested and boost leak tested entire induction path multiple times (there are no leaks)
* Turbos are clearly moving air - you can hear excess air being vented through the intakes at idle
* Turbos definitely spool up - I can hear boost venting when throttle slams shut
* Blow off valve is not leaking - I removed it temporarily to verify
* Wired wastegates shut just to verify they were not opening for some reason and dumping boost
* I have a Magnaflow catted X-pipe. I watched vacuum stay steady while free revving the engine around 2000 rpm to verify they are not clogged
* There is no PCV system on the car - PCV hole at rear of intake is plugged and I have two catches cans with a -12 line from each valve cover to each can
* There's no MAF of course as it's a speed density setup

I run 93 octane, no methanol.

I will say that I am happy to transfer some funds to anyone who can help me get this car running well. I have far too much time and energy invested in this setup to push it off a cliff... but let me tell you, it's tempting!

Latest tune and log are attached.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• CurrentTune.msq
    110.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 2017-06-22_15.37.27.msl
    1.7 MB · Views: 111
Reactions: 1 users
Steve is the man !!! He'll get that thing running better than ever....as long as there aren't any mechanical issues.

I'm new to MS but I'll be keeping an eye on how all this goes. I'm turbo too. I'm learning and helping everywhere I can.

Need some help. Long time stang owner and been wrenching on them (mainly Fox body versions) for nearly 25 years. Heck, I joined this forum 11 years ago although have not been very active. I know my way around cars but my latest project is just taking forever. Having a family pulling me in different directions doesn't help, but this is insane. It's been several years in the making and just beyond frustrating at this point.

It's a 93 Cobra with twin turbo built 347 and 5 speed and of course MS ECU. Specifically, I bought the MegaSquirt-II V3.57 plug and play and have full version of Tuner Studio and Mega Log Viewer installed on my laptop. I have been working with someone experienced with MS remotely over the past few years, but just seem to be having the same issue no matter what we do. I mean, I've literally done just about everything imaginable to this car to figure it out and it continues to run poorly. By that I mean, it lays over under load, misses and will not build boost at all. It starts up and idles steady aside from some slight miss here and there. Idle fuel pressure is around 42 psi. Off the top of my head, this is what I've been through...

* Engine was freshly built before install (has minimal test miles on it perhaps 10-20 miles at most over the last few years)
* Thought I washed the rings out after a number of attempted starts before determining fuel constant was way off for my injectors (I honestly thought that was pre-set in the tune since I gave them my injector size- thinking back to my days of running an AFM PMS, doh)
* Have since verified I have consistent cranking compression (120-130psi warm which seems lower than I'd expect but all cylinders are extremely close to one another) and low (<5%) leakdown
* Thought maybe cam was retarded (FTI custom ground for my setup), but verified it's correctly installed straight up
* Correctly set crank timing using piston stop (was off a few degrees initially)
* Replaced spark plug wires (Livewires) although even though they're new if they lay too close to exhaust, they will arc (I've had to tie strap them away from the manifold)
* Replaced spark plugs (3-4 times now)
* Car has historically run rich since initial tune, but is much improved in latest tune
* Calibrated Wideband (twice)
* Smoke tested and boost leak tested entire induction path multiple times (there are no leaks)
* Turbos are clearly moving air - you can hear excess air being vented through the intakes at idle
* Turbos definitely spool up - I can hear boost venting when throttle slams shut
* Blow off valve is not leaking - I removed it temporarily to verify
* Wired wastegates shut just to verify they were not opening for some reason and dumping boost
* I have a Magnaflow catted X-pipe. I watched vacuum stay steady while free revving the engine around 2000 rpm to verify they are not clogged
* There is no PCV system on the car - PCV hole at rear of intake is plugged and I have two catches cans with a -12 line from each valve cover to each can
* There's no MAF of course as it's a speed density setup

I run 93 octane, no methanol.

I will say that I am happy to transfer some funds to anyone who can help me get this car running well. I have far too much time and energy invested in this setup to push it off a cliff... but let me tell you, it's tempting!

Latest tune and log are attached.

Thanks in advance.
Hello I'm Steve, I will review all your info when I get to my laptop in the morning. As long as I can get decent datalogs and accurate info on the setup as well as detailed driver feedback i can help you out.
Do you have a thread with pics of said build? I'd love to see it.