Steve's Megasquirt/tunerstudio Help Thread

kjones6742

Nov 14, 2020
Daytona
Well, had a couple hours and that was all with company over and I tried to fire up my 03 GT with a fresh installed ms3pnp. The small red leds were on but none of the larger 4 LEDS would light, and my laptop would not recognize the device (possibly a com port issue, looking at that). I have 60# injex and it turned over and I feel like I heard a few attempts to start of course the base tune had stock injex and I adjusted in TS but couldnt write to device as it wouldnt recognize it. Tech support is out until the 28th. What are those other LEDs besides the small red ones? I couldnt figure out by the manual. Going to try again with laptop and want to see if there is spark with a spark tester. Without being able to calibrate tps and with the wrong injex, I imagine it would have a hard time firing up. I had about 8 cranks worth before battery was low and I had to go back to life stuff. If it has spark at all, that means this thing is working (right?), if it has anything on the plugs as far as fuel, its working. I just havent been able to test spark or fuel. Ive never had a standalone install go bad.

• Sponsors(?)

stanglx2002

CT Material here
Mod Dude
Jul 7, 2005
Well, had a couple hours and that was all with company over and I tried to fire up my 03 GT with a fresh installed ms3pnp. The small red leds were on but none of the larger 4 LEDS would light, and my laptop would not recognize the device (possibly a com port issue, looking at that). I have 60# injex and it turned over and I feel like I heard a few attempts to start of course the base tune had stock injex and I adjusted in TS but couldnt write to device as it wouldnt recognize it. Tech support is out until the 28th. What are those other LEDs besides the small red ones? I couldnt figure out by the manual. Going to try again with laptop and want to see if there is spark with a spark tester. Without being able to calibrate tps and with the wrong injex, I imagine it would have a hard time firing up. I had about 8 cranks worth before battery was low and I had to go back to life stuff. If it has spark at all, that means this thing is working (right?), if it has anything on the plugs as far as fuel, its working. I just havent been able to test spark or fuel. Ive never had a standalone install go bad.
I would focus on getting your laptop to connect to the ECU. Without that you are not able to see any of the settings along with making the necessary tune changes for your combo (ie: 60# injectors are not stock). The tune that is flashed to the ECU is setup for a stock combo, so you will have to update the tune for your changes and burn it to the ECU. You can't any of this without identifying the connection issue.

93Stang5oh

Founding Member
Jul 8, 1999
Manchester, Iowa
www.fquick.com
Once you have a Tune open within TunerStudio, you can goto Communications\Settings select the proper Connection Type, the most common is RS232 Serial Interface and typically people buy the RS232 to USB adapter. Then, with the cable connected to your laptop and Megasquirt, you should be able to click on Detect, it should give you a list of devices to select from. If it doesn't find anything then most likely the drivers didn't install correctly for the adpater. From here you need to go into your Device Manager and look under ports and see if there is anything with a exclamation sign on it. This will indicate it's not recognized or didn't install properly. You may need to delete it from the Device Manager, unplug it from the laptop, reboot the laptop, once it comes back up, plug it in again and see that corrects it. If not, you may need to re-install the driver again.

kjones6742

Nov 14, 2020
Daytona
Once you have a Tune open within TunerStudio, you can goto Communications\Settings select the proper Connection Type, the most common is RS232 Serial Interface and typically people buy the RS232 to USB adapter. Then, with the cable connected to your laptop and Megasquirt, you should be able to click on Detect, it should give you a list of devices to select from. If it doesn't find anything then most likely the drivers didn't install correctly for the adpater. From here you need to go into your Device Manager and look under ports and see if there is anything with a exclamation sign on it. This will indicate it's not recognized or didn't install properly. You may need to delete it from the Device Manager, unplug it from the laptop, reboot the laptop, once it comes back up, plug it in again and see that corrects it. If not, you may need to re-install the driver again.
Going to give it a shot tmrw. Must be connected to main harness, cannot be done outside vehicle correct?

kjones6742

Nov 14, 2020
Daytona
Your trick worked. Connected to the ms3 and wrote the new file on it but only had about 3 cranks worth before the battery died, almost started. Will get a new batt tmrw and try again. Should I start a datalog as soon as I connect?

kjones6742

Nov 14, 2020
Daytona
Up and running but I cannot get my AEM X series analog output to do anything but put out a straight 5v. Strangest thing. White and brown wires are set up correctly so putting in a ticket to AEM. Anyone had any better luck with another product, the LC2 or something? Would like to try the 14point7 newest one but they arent in stock yet, something down the road maybe. Ive no need of a gauge as Im going to run a tablet, I just took that AEM off one of my bikes for now. Ive had issues with AEM stuff, Ive had issues with innovate stuff, Ive had issues with Daytona Sensors who I used to be a vendor for. Just need something to get me on the road right now.

Last edited:

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
I prefer the aem since it has the sensor ground connection. If this is ms3 you should use the canbus if your aem is capable of it. It's faster more accurate and leaves the input unused for other sensors

Reactions: kjones6742

kjones6742

Nov 14, 2020
Daytona
Harness made with 1 120ohm resistor between the leads about to hook up. Fingers crossed. Uncertain of how to configure in TS but reading the AEM specs