Steve's Megasquirt/tunerstudio Help Thread

• Sponsors (?)

Quick question. How much rewiring of the OEM harness is needed for the MS3? Does it install in place of the factory ECU or am I pretty much doing a total rewire?

You have two options:
1. Build your own as many have done here
2. Buy a already completed one as I did from vendors like: DIYAutoTune or Stinger Performance

I thank you for all your help so far. I am sorry for being so dense, but I still dont understand the wiring to the microsquirt itself. I understand the usage of resistors at different ohms to divide the supply voltage to give different voltages based on which switch is being pushed Up, Down, or Horn. That makes total sense to me, that you would need push each switch individually to get the voltage going to the microsquirt and input that into the Paddle Shifter entry screen in Turnerstudio.

Reading more on the megashift manual sense it has more info then transmission control manual does. It recommends to use a 5V supply as it will be more stable voltage supply.

Below I am still confused:
1. 5V Vref from microsquirt - Which wire is that? Everyone just says to just use it from the microsquirt, but Im not see which wire that is
2. If I cut the existing horn wire in half
+ Half that goes up the steering column goes to the 5V Vref on the microsquirt
+ Other half that goes to the horn goes to an output on the microsquirt (if you can tell me which pin that would be awesome)

@a91what
@a91what thoughts??

MS won't control the EGR or air pump electronics correct? Just want to be sure so I can provision for their eventual removal.

Any way to make it play well with cats? While I don't need to pass a sniff test, I still want to run cats for various reasons and don't want to ruin my expensive bassani high flow x pipe.

Can MS3 do a timed aux circuit? I just plumb the air pump direct to the h-pipe and keep the bypass valve plumbed up. Delete the portion to the heads. Then upon ignition start I could have a timer go 10 mins and then open the valve sending flow to the cats. If MS3 can't do that I could do it by building a separate times circuit independent.

Egr I could give a flying boot about if MS3 will be happy as a clam without it.

Last edited:
MS won't control the EGR or air pump electronics correct? Just want to be sure so I can provision for their eventual removal.

Any way to make it play well with cats? While I don't need to pass a sniff test, I still want to run cats for various reasons and don't want to ruin my expensive bassani high flow x pipe.

Can MS3 do a timed aux circuit? I just plumb the air pump direct to the h-pipe and keep the bypass valve plumbed up. Delete the portion to the heads. Then upon ignition start I could have a timer go 10 mins and then open the valve sending flow to the cats. If MS3 can't do that I could do it by other means electrically.

Egr I could give a flying boot about if MS3 will be happy as a clam without it.

The newer high flow cats don't need the extra air from the air pump at all. The factory cats needed it because of the technology at the time. The thermactor tubes ( back of heads ) can be deleted completely. You'll need 2 thermactor plugs to screw in the holes or do it any of the many ways to block the holes at the rear of the heads.

All the rest is Steve's territory...

As Scott said delete the pump if you don't need it. I run cats on my car with no pump at all. however if you wanted to keep it I'm sure I can help write you a script for a timed output after startup or we can use a set of descriptors to make it work.
EGR I am uncertain if they currently have anything in the code to work with the egr valve.

1. 5V Vref from microsquirt - Which wire is that? Everyone just says to just use it from the microsquirt, but Im not see which wire that is
+ Other half that goes to the horn goes to an output on the microsquirt (if you can tell me which pin that would be awesome)

Using this link.
http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/voltshift.html

1. ---5v ref is ampseal pin #28
2. ---yes, however I cannot find that information on the pinout. can you give me a link to the 6.3.2.7 table above

Using the link follow the instructions under the calculator, it will give you the needed resistor values you will need to make the circuit work and the voltages to plug into the software. I suggest using common resistor values you can find online or at your local hobby store.

Using this link.
http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/voltshift.html

1. ---5v ref is ampseal pin #28
2. ---yes, however I cannot find that information on the pinout. can you give me a link to the 6.3.2.7 table above

Using the link follow the instructions under the calculator, it will give you the needed resistor values you will need to make the circuit work and the voltages to plug into the software. I suggest using common resistor values you can find online or at your local hobby store.

Steve, this helps a lot for #1 as I understand plug-n-play
For #2 here is the link you asked for http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Trans_Control-1.0.pdf/Trans_Control-1.0-49.html or below is the details for you.
upload_2018-1-16_8-48-39.png

Steve, this helps a lot for #1 as I understand plug-n-play
For #2 here is the link you asked for http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Trans_Control-1.0.pdf/Trans_Control-1.0-49.html or below is the details for you.
upload_2018-1-16_8-48-39.png
looking at page 21-23 of the manual gives you the wiring pinout for the microsquirt module. looking at the table for paddle shifters shows that you can set the horn output it says horg e.g. horn you will probably choose an output to use for this, according to the wiring pinout you will likely use the aled or wled outputs. this will largely depend on what you need to control the transmission you are wiring up and what is left over when you are done.

sorry I cant be more specific on this as far as a pin number for you but I would suggest you figure out what you need output wise and then I can coach you the rest of the way.

looking at page 21-23 of the manual gives you the wiring pinout for the microsquirt module. looking at the table for paddle shifters shows that you can set the horn output it says horg e.g. horn you will probably choose an output to use for this, according to the wiring pinout you will likely use the aled or wled outputs. this will largely depend on what you need to control the transmission you are wiring up and what is left over when you are done.

sorry I cant be more specific on this as far as a pin number for you but I would suggest you figure out what you need output wise and then I can coach you the rest of the way.
Steve, thank you again as always

I will load the transmission control, so I can investigate further the output options for the horn. That should hopefully help figure this out.

For the cam sensor, which is better to use with the MS? Or does it not really matter? The 2 wire VR sensor, or the 3-wire hall effect? I have both.

For wiring the cam and crank sensors, I should plan for separate shielded harnesses back to the MS? No bundling with other wiring (for the coil packs for example) that will contain power wires?

For the cam sensor, which is better to use with the MS? Or does it not really matter? The 2 wire VR sensor, or the 3-wire hall effect? I have both.

For wiring the cam and crank sensors, I should plan for separate shielded harnesses back to the MS? No bundling with other wiring (for the coil packs for example) that will contain power wires?
You can use either sensor for the cam input. I believe the explorer cam sensor is 3 wire.

You can bundle all the wires together Ford never separated them and often didn't shield them either....
I ran shielded wire in my installation.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, need some input on an issue that is plaguing my tuning endeavors using MS2/Microsquirt.

I've got an awful lean spiking condition at low to moderate load between 1300-2600 rpm.

I just finished redoing the engine harness because it lacked shielding which is what I thought was causing the issue. I also previously had the alternator on a switched trigger wire. The stumbling/spiking condition would go away with the alternator switched off so I'm not sure if it's voltage related?

I've attached a log of a 15 minute drive.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2018-02-04_16.42.28.msl
    9.1 MB · Views: 110
Did you build your own ecu or buy a prebuild and wire it in?

Check engine grounds first also check to see that the ecu is grounded properly. I will check the datalog but if you see spikes in all the sensors at the same time grounds are likely the culprit.

Did you build your own ecu or buy a prebuild and wire it in?

Check engine grounds first also check to see that the ecu is grounded properly. I will check the datalog but if you see spikes in all the sensors at the same time grounds are likely the culprit.

I'm using the PNP 60 pin adapter on a regular Microsquirt controller.

I have two harness grounds; one going to valve cover bolt and one to chassis. One ground from block to chassis. Alternator case also has a ground.

Last edited: