Sticky Cooling Problem

94pony

Jul 6, 2003
Arlington, Tx
My car was overheating and the following parts were replaced. Now my motor is just running 3/4 the way hot. Let me know if you have any ideas???
:SNSign:​
I have replaced the following parts:
Water Pump
Radiator
Thermostat (192)
Coolant Temp. Sensor
Temp. Switch

Timing Set 10-12 atdc (with spout conn. out)
Flushed the motor (Test coolant to ensure a 50/50 mix)
Changed spark plugs (.54)
Changed oil
Harmonic Balancer
Cleaned MAF sensor
Running 93 octane

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

In stock form, the fan won't come on till 208*F (low) or 226*F (high). High should be on if the AC is on.

You need a real gauge to determine what is going on right now.

If you need to troubleshoot the fan circuit, post up.

In stock form, the fan won't come on till 208*F (low) or 226*F (high). High should be on if the AC is on.

You need a real gauge to determine what is going on right now.

If you need to troubleshoot the fan circuit, post up.

She is in stock form. Being I live in Texas it is 100+ outside all day so I have the AC running the whole time. I have verified that my fan is on the whole time.

What do you mean by troubleshooting the fan circuit?

If your fan wasn't coming on, we could have run CCRM diagnostics.

Are you sure you have all the air out of the system? It can take a bit to bleed the air out at 1 ATM, let alone while under pressure.

Otherwise, tell us if the car cools down once you are on the highway (sustained 50 MPH +).
If you can, temporarily install a real gauge so you can know what's really going on.

If your fan wasn't coming on, we could have run CCRM diagnostics.

Are you sure you have all the air out of the system? It can take a bit to bleed the air out at 1 ATM, let alone while under pressure.

Otherwise, tell us if the car cools down once you are on the highway (sustained 50 MPH +).
If you can, temporarily install a real gauge so you can know what's really going on.

Yea positive all the air is out. I will try to put a gauge on tonight and I will see how she rides cruzin down the highway. Thanks for your help I will advise on the results.

My car was overheating and the following parts were replaced. Now my motor is just running 3/4 the way hot. Let me know if you have any ideas???

Timing Set 10-12 atdc (with spout conn. out)

The timing should be 10-12 BTDC so if your quote is correct, the timing is way too retarded and that would cause the engine to run hot.

I'll repeat Hissin50's question and ask if the engine runs hot on the highway, or does it only run hot at a standstill/slow traffic?
Also do your gauges flicker when you switch on any electrical items? If so, you'll need to add a ground cable from the engine to the firewall and that could change your temp. gauge readings.

My lights do flicker a little when my A/C and/or lights are on. Would that be a ground? I have a 4-gauge ground going from the top of my upper intake to the firewall....

I think the problem I am facing has to do with my head gasket. My car makes a yawning sound right after I turn it off.