Sticky Parking Break

Has anyone else had any issues with their parking break refusing to fully disengage after you put the arm back down all the way?

I have a 2006 Automatic

This problem seems to keep reapearing around the winter times... even during the warmer days of winter though. My driveway has a slight incline to it, enough to where I refuse to park and rest the car on the gears. The problem seems to go away in the hot summers.

Eventually after driving for a bit, the e-break will eventually fully disengage, But Im worried about my brakes and rotors being screwed up.

Anyone have this issue before, or have an idea of what it could be?

Thanks

-Eric

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. There is a TSB for this. Ford revised the rear parking brake cables for 2007. Prior to, the rubber boots on the end could deteriorate allow water to enter. When that water freezes it "freezes" up the parking brake.

Ok thanks for the reply. Sorry I dont really have much forum lingo yet, what is TSB? :p

Technical Service Bulletin

TSB# 06-5-4

"The rear sealing boot on the e-brake cable could prematurely deteriorate which may permit water intrusion. In freezing tempurature this could bind the cable inside the casing and not allow tension to be released from the caliper."

Service procedure is to replace both rear e-brake cables.

Two days from now marks exactly five years from when I bought the pony, and this morning when trying to leave for work I got bit by this one. It was 17 degrees outside and the rear wheels were pretty much locked up.

No point in trying to determine the cause, that has been covered here and elsewhere. My question is about getting it repaired...

Since FoMoCo has issued a TSB does that mean an out-of-warranty car can get this fixed at Ford's expense? If not I'll do it myself, but it is awfully cold to want to be outside banging my knuckles on metal.