stiff king cobra clutch?

cooper

Dec 9, 2005
a buddy helped me instal a king cobra clutch, and man is it hard to push?? i was always told it was a lot easier than stock. my buddy works at a dealer and has lots of exp with mustangs the instal went with out a hitch. it has a ajustable cable and firewall adj. the padal is hard and grabby . oh also instaled a new flywheel at the same time. is something wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

already spent a butt load of cash, not ready to do it again:( the pedal only works about 9" instead of normal 12" - 14" of petal throw, will it get more driver friendley, or will it always be a tipey toe engage / disengage unpridictable beast:bang: once again I was always told the king cobra has an easier feel or push than stock, or is it just:bs:

cooper said:
already spent a butt load of cash, not ready to do it again:( the pedal only works about 9" instead of normal 12" - 14" of petal throw, will it get more driver friendley, or will it always be a tipey toe engage / disengage unpridictable beast:bang: once again I was always told the king cobra has an easier feel or push than stock, or is it just:bs:

I installed a KC clutch in my car along with the frpp adjustable quadrant cable at the same time. With just having the cable hooked up and adjusted properly it felt a lot softer then stock and it bothered me thinking it was adjusted properly.

I just hooked the stock plastic self adjusting quadrant under the dash and it feels like a spring board now. More frim feel at the foot and I like it better cause it has more push back now. It does feel a lot stiffer then stock.... Maybe he left that peice in there? :shrug:

i put a steeda quad and fife wall adj a few years ago. im so confused, i was looking for a softer feel with a quality product frpp! just got to work and my left foot is throbing!!!

grabby is bad, today it was misty out, i let the clutch out with my foot off the gas and it just spunn the tires, their is no ease, just on or off like a light switch. its funny everyone will say, it gets easier after 500 miles or breakin, or is it just every one getting used to the stiffnes of it? like i said i got it because of the fact the claim that it was easier, witch was what i wanted ,and the extra streingth with more powerfull than stock cars. just looking for some reasurance that it's worth all of my $$$$$ and total annoyance to tippey toeing it around before getting madd and burning it up just out of frustration.:mad: sorry just not a happy camper now with my every day driver.

thanks for all the advice when i was freaking out!!! well it did ease up some after 964mi of 40% city 60% hi driving. now their is a deep droning vibration that i can feel in my butt and ear drum, but not the shifter!!!! at 1800-2200 rpm in almost every gear....:bang: it was very slight at first but now it seems to happen even more than at 1800-2200, almost all the time. it almost seems like it's coming from the rearend???? we did index the drive shaft to stock placement,,im realy getting a lot of vibration:shrug: :shrug:

just to let you know, i have a king cobra clutch i just installed in my car. my pedal is light only slightly stiffer than stock and it's not grabby.

i used to have a really stiff clutch when i had my centerforce DF. but it was not the DF's fault. my clutch fork and pivot ball were in bad shape. the pivot ball itself had deep groves in it also the frt bearing retainer ( the part where the TOB rides on) was starting to get damaged.

I installed a new clutch ( king cobra) with a new ford flywheel, TOB,clutch fork,pivot ball and cable and now the clutch works great and is light.

i bet one of these things happened to most of you guys with a stiff clutch.

1. the tech neglected to check the clutch fork and pivot ball. you probally have giant grooves in the pivot ball.

2. hack impact gun install of the pressure plate. the pressure plate needs to be torqued to spec and in sequence.

now i can't be sure without driving your car, but your clutch should not be much stiffer than stock. i have installed a few of these king cobras and none of mine were stiff.