Stock 1987 GT engine to Cobra engine. Help needed!

MikeROD16

Feb 4, 2008
Miami, FL
Well, i have a 1987 Mustang GT. I was wondering if anyone knows what i need to convert the stock 5.0 HO engine into a cobra motor. I have the cobra intake, roller rockers, heads, and throttle body and my car already has forged pistons. But i need to know if im going to need anything else. like fuel pumps, or injectors, MAF, etc. If you can help, i need a complete list on the items i need. i also plan on boring it out to a 306 and doing head work and exhaust. Thanks -Mike

• Sponsors (?)

An 89 harness would be ideal for you. MAF equipped, and no airbag stuff. Those go for the most amount of money on ebay vs. the 91-93 harness. Get the computer as well.

yea they used to sell a cobra electonic kit that came with the cobra 70mm maf, the 24# injectors and the cobra X3Z ecu but its been discontinued for some reason so u will just have to collect the parts on ur own. I think i am one of the last people to ever buy one of those kits, but it does make a difference.

yea the only thing the cobra elec kit does it make it so its smooth like a stock running car. You dont really need it unless u really want to just run the cobra motor itself and have like everything be all 93 cobra original. Which is not that fast anyway so i would vote against it unless u are some kind of collector or something.

my goal is to simply have prtty beefed up gt. slightly better than a cobra.i also wanna beat these punks in my school at the strip. they always rev at me cuz i take my 4 cyl lx to school. they swear thyre cool, one has some work on his lx icluding NOS and the other has a riced out triple white with nos also. what a shame. and the last one a a 2003 mach 1. i know it seems like a revnge thing but its not. i just want to put them in their place

Not to poo-poo your setup, but an e-cam is hardly a nice cam. Don't bother making a cobra like motor, you would be better served with a quality maf and ecu as someone said earlier. If heads are not in the budget maybe a decent cam is?

Matt

TFS stage 1?, I was told the F-cam was one of the better alphabet cams.

If you already have a 65mm tb then its not worth getting a 70.

Get a C&L mass air, I'm running fine with 19# inj (although I using the newer better Bosch style instead of the stock Denso's),I'm getting away with the stock fuel pump for now, I'm gonna upgrade because of age. If youre taking the block out then put a good windage tray under there. Get pullies and an elec fan will free up power.

Am I the only guy left alive that prefers the X3Z to all other ecu's???

I think it is a great option for a streeter...

for fear of being called a nuthugger, I'm not touching the cam topic

jason