Stock 5.0 oil pan question

I’ve always got the dumb questions I can never get my head around, but hear me out.

The stock 5.0ho oil pan as shows, has two drops so that the pan can clear the subframe. Because oil sits in these two drops when resting, obviously you’d need two drain bolts, but when checking oil level, couldn’t that give you a screwed up level? If some of that oil is on the other drop, and the dipstick reads from pickup side, how the hell are you gonna get an accurate reading?

Never had a car with two drain bolts, so first oil change was pretty amusing lol. Never had low oil pressure or the low level light come on, just curious
4D0C15B5-A90C-4A43-BDEE-8BCCB300FD27.png

• Sponsors (?)

I thought of that, but following the dipstick tube, it leads to the sump side, makes me think it’ll check level there because it would hold more than the opposing side. I think at any given time, as long as your oil level is in the “okay” zone it should be fine
The dipstick is a bigger liar than most fishermen that I have met.

Drain both front & rear sumps, put the drain plugs back in. Then change the filter and add 4 quarts oil. Start the engine and let it idle 2 minutes or so. Shut it off, wait 2 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off and stick it back in. Pull it out again and take note of the oil level. I marked the dipstick with a scratch from a file at the 4 quart level.

Add the 5th quart, start the engine and let it idle 2 minutes or so. Shut it off, wait 2 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off and stick it back in. Pull it out again and take note of the oil level; it won't be anywhere near the factory full marks. I marked the dipstick with a scratch from a file at the 5 quart level, which is about 1" above the factory full mark.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
If there's enough oil in the pan, the level is high enough to be over the hump and equalize.

Of course, you want to check with the car on perfectly level ground.

And with 5 quarts of oil my dipstick is spot on

• Agree

Drain both front & rear sumps, put the drain plugs back in. Then change the filter and add 4 quarts oil. Start the engine and let it idle 2 minutes or so. Shut it off, wait 2 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off and stick it back in. Pull it out again and take note of the oil level. I marked the dipstick with a scratch from a file at the 4 quart level.

Add the 5th quart, start the engine and let it idle 2 minutes or so. Shut it off, wait 2 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off and stick it back in. Pull it out again and take note of the oil level; it won't be anywhere near the factory full marks. I marked the dipstick with a scratch from a file at the 5 quart level, which is about 1" above the factory full mark.
Yeah sometimes mines halfway in the safe mark and sometimes it’s closer to the lower mark. I can never really tell. I’ll scratch them in next oil change. Had to ask, I never drip any oil, rear main doesn’t leak, no blow by and it doesn’t look like any is coming out the tailpipe.

I keep trying to tell people this. Gonna just show them that post from now on. Good explanation.

Change the 2 drain plugs to Fumoto drain ball valves.
They will last longer than the engine or the car.