stock 96 gt got some ideas?

Tyler Munster

Jun 16, 2010
Boston MA
I Just got my first mustang and am looking for opinions and ideas to get more horse out of it its a stock 96 gt auto with over drive here are my plans
bbk shorty headers and xpipe 02 elimanters an slp proflow exhaust bbk powerplus series 78 mm throttle bodie a hughs shift kit march perfomance pully kit replacment miller hoses and a cold air intake i planned on going with the bbk if any body has any of these modes let me know how you like them and what you think about these mods thanx :D
ps will have pics soon of befor and after

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like a good start... skip the BBK shorties though and the CAI. Lots of work for next to no gain. I'd also include some gears (at least 3.73's), PI intake and cams can be purchased for under $300 and give a solid 30 RWHP gain.

Regular maintanence is always a good place to start, and there can be quite a list for a used car. New plugs and wires, shocks and struts, tires, oil, tranny fluid, air filter, fuel filter, ect ect. With absolutely no modifications, I went 14.6 in my 97 GT, which is faster than a lot of 'modified' 96-98 GTs go. With just an H-pipe and more practice, I went 14.2. Regular maintance and learning your car goes a long ways.

In my opinion, most of the modifications in your list are useless or next to useless. An offroad H can make a nice difference (smog check?). Then, PI cams and the PI intake make a big difference, and a tune will make everything play well and make even more power. Some good tires, and you'll have one fun car.

Skip the shorty headers and if you touch the transmission, do the J-mod. Do some research on it, but it's the safest way to get better performance out of your stock transmission.

The best things you could do are gears (for an auto, I'd say 4.10's), exhaust (mid pipe at the very least, longtube headers if you can spare the cash), PI intake, and PI cams as bhuff said, if you can do the work or don't mind paying for it.

Skip the entry level bolt ons for now and save up for those mods, you'll be really glad you did down the road.

Or... exhaust/stall/gears/nitrous and call it a day.

ok so in the coming week im going to order the gears like evryone has suggested with my tuner this weeknd is being spent doing a complet tuneup and a flush of the rad. the pi crosseover sounds like a good winter project for me . if any body has had the j mode could you let me how you liked it .
N8dogg98 do you have any recomandations for the pi swap

ok so in the coming week im going to order the gears like evryone has suggested with my tuner this weeknd is being spent doing a complet tuneup and a flush of the rad. the pi crosseover sounds like a good winter project for me . if any body has had the j mode could you let me how you liked it .
N8dogg98 do you have any recomandations for the pi swap

What do you mean by recommendations for the PI swap?

I bought all new stuff. I found a brand new set of PI cams on e-bay for ~$50, and I bought a brand new PI intake for around $200 (don't remember where, but Summit racing sells them). I am also a member on another forum and get 10% over cost for OEM ford parts from Tousley Ford, which is about 20 minutes from my house.

In addition to the PI intake and cams, you'll need new cam bolts, PI intake gaskets, EGR gasket, new passenger exhaust gasket (manifold to midpipe gasket), water coolant nipple, new coolant tube that runs in the engine valley, and new water pump o-rings.

If you also find a good deal on some PI heads, that's certainly a worthwhile upgrade. With the heads the entire PI swap is around a 40-45hp upgrade over the stock NPI heads, cams, & intake. If you just get the intake and cams you're looking at around 30rwhp.

Thanks. i just picked up my pi heads and intake off a 04 with 14k for 3 and he threw a c&l throttlebody plenum that was on it for an extra 100. orderd all new bolts from arp and so on looking to get the comp cam extreem energy cams and springs and all will put up pics of befor and afters

Regular maintanence is always a good place to start, and there can be quite a list for a used car. New plugs and wires, shocks and struts, tires, oil, tranny fluid, air filter, fuel filter, ect ect. With absolutely no modifications, I went 14.6 in my 97 GT, which is faster than a lot of 'modified' 96-98 GTs go. With just an H-pipe and more practice, I went 14.2. Regular maintance and learning your car goes a long ways.

In my opinion, most of the modifications in your list are useless or next to useless. An offroad H can make a nice difference (smog check?). Then, PI cams and the PI intake make a big difference, and a tune will make everything play well and make even more power. Some good tires, and you'll have one fun car.
:stupid::stupid::stupid::stupid::stupid: