Stock air Filter VS. The Famous K & N

Killer50stang

May 11, 2004
I was at my second home today (Advance Auto) and thought this demonstration of the stock air filter vs. the K&N was pretty cool. Even though the guy probably thought I was a weird-o...I took some shots with my camera phone.

Here is the stock filter (paper). You will notice the golf ball sitting at the bottom. There are two fans that are forcing air into the container. I personally tested both. The stock filter clearly gave barely (if any) air flow as you can see by image (#1). The golf ball sits at the bottom.

factoryairfilter.JPG

By taking the filter out, the golf ball flies to the top, and putting in the K & N filter didn't change things as you can see here:

kn.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Now look up studies about the filtering efficiency of a K&N versus any other filter.

Sits back, grabs popcorn and a beer and waits for the :flame:

Just looked into that. Weird. I don't question it, though. A manufacturer is going to put the best-protecting filter on a car from the factory, and they alllll get paper in my experience.

I'm curious to know how much the smaller micron particles can affect engine longevity. I see all these tests that say the K&N doesn't filter as well, but is it just splitting hairs? I mean, its not like rocks are getting in...

Just looked into that. Weird. I don't question it, though. A manufacturer is going to put the best-protecting filter on a car from the factory, and they alllll get paper in my experience.

I'm curious to know how much the smaller micron particles can affect engine longevity. I see all these tests that say the K&N doesn't filter as well, but is it just splitting hairs? I mean, its not like rocks are getting in...

Exactly. K&N doesn't do jack for performance,but they have a lifetime guarantee, look cool, and flow better. Don't starve your engine!

These are my kind of threads. I add fuel to the fire is read your abstract, explain mine and just sink dis thread down to you cannot answer anymore is I gotcha! :rlaugh:

If you wear underwear, are not the cotton briefs sorta tight nit wit? If you wore mesh stockings like a 2bit whore, would not that micron of a pee-pee of yours slip thru the mesh or slip thru an OEM kind of tight knit is the wit chews? Can you now see the mesh can introduce a lot faster air is the performance gain; call it, "speed day air in dare, ya ding-dong" is now you get that both the fill quicker being the air speed change and a lot more micron to score tiny lines in your cylinder walls is the ring score lines on it surface too. This is low compression heading down the score marks is push them all together now look at the size of the ONE score (line);

Yes, you get a quicker response being the telemetry can take care of the increased air gulp, being you think the wafer in the sensor cannot pick up that tiny blip of quicker air check is like you WOT the throttle without the TPS is the ECM knows the crank speed and that is gonna 1Atmo your azz either way is dare you go.
The computer had you covered no matter the air cleaner change or no cleaner in it at all is the IAP (intake air pressure sensor) is gonna suck that wafer is :hail2: to that telemetry is go install your easy performance mod is smoother air flow if not a quicker throttle blip...

Understand me :eek: :nono: NO NO NO don't chew dew dat! Dis is :SNSign: And we gonna get this tech down to a science is you let your 6 grader read this old stuff is you never read easier words is there are no secrets to racing engines. Just common sense is some of it if not a lot of it...

These are my kind of threads. I add fuel to the fire is read your abstract, explain mine and just sink dis thread down to you cannot answer anymore is I gotcha! :rlaugh:

If you wear underwear, are not the cotton briefs sorta tight nit wit? If you wore mesh stockings like a 2bit whore, would not that micron of a pee-pee of yours slip thru the mesh or slip thru an OEM kind of tight knit is the wit chews? Can you now see the mesh can introduce a lot faster air is the performance gain; call it, "speed day air in dare, ya ding-dong" is now you get that both the fill quicker being the air speed change and a lot more micron to score tiny lines in your cylinder walls is the ring score lines on it surface too. This is low compression heading down the score marks is push them all together now look at the size of the ONE score (line);

Yes, you get a quicker response being the telemetry can take care of the increased air gulp, being you think the wafer in the sensor cannot pick up that tiny blip of quicker air check is like you WOT the throttle without the TPS is the ECM knows the crank speed and that is gonna 1Atmo your azz either way is dare you go.
The computer had you covered no matter the air cleaner change or no cleaner in it at all is the IAP (intake air pressure sensor) is gonna suck that wafer is :hail2: to that telemetry is go install your easy performance mod is smoother air flow if not a quicker throttle blip...

Understand me :eek: :nono: NO NO NO don't chew dew dat! Dis is :SNSign: And we gonna get this tech down to a science is you let your 6 grader read this old stuff is you never read easier words is there are no secrets to racing engines. Just common sense is some of it if not a lot of it...

Are you not from America? I couldn't understand a damn thing you just said. It seems like you have some decent knowledge of the automobile, but I can't decipher what argument you are trying to make right now. :shrug:

For kicks a few times I pulled out the air filter all together on my camry and drove threw a few tanks of gas. I got about 12 mpg better with no air filter in. For a car that got good gas mileage already that's pretty good.

flamethrower.gif

Did someone mention a flaming is gonna occur? Squeak laughed... I think you cannot change what happens in the absolute. Say, gas-fuel-compression starts the car in the absolute. Remove that variable is pick any one of the 3 is she is not gonna run is that about some absolute for ya? How about the speed of air change is like a screen door is an open door is who flows more? Dishiiiitt is not rocket science.

:shrug: << What is this? You leave the basics home? YOu think I am explaining :bs:? I want to hear your side then. Is this not open for discussion?

I think I know a little about the internal combustear. I want you to know what I know so when we line up, you have no excuse it was the car, the bike, the boat, the plain as day is fly right past you is you were clogging that cleaner is meaner some other way is open some speed INN.

And yes, as simple to read is there is theory in dare is pick it out is because I only speak in the absolute way the computer fires off is how you read the factory service manual to that diagnostics of what that (((check engine light)))) is saying.

If there are speed secrets for going fast.... How come the concept of air speed is not being comprehended on the ball in the tube being restricted is how high that ball is in the tube is one more absolute observation how air speed can show you how simple that ball is placed against the resistance of a screen in between the ball is add some paper pleat. Now add some dirt, leaves off a tree, that Snick Ear's candy wrapper is we chewing on basic theory or WOT (wide open throttle).

Next post should tell me I am full of crapola the theory does not hold water let alone air... :jaw::doh:

flamethrower.gif

Did someone mention a flaming is gonna occur? Squeak laughed... I think you cannot change what happens in the absolute. Say, gas-fuel-compression starts the car in the absolute. Remove that variable is pick any one of the 3 is she is not gonna run is that about some absolute for ya? How about the speed of air change is like a screen door is an open door is who flows more? Dishiiiitt is not rocket science.

:shrug: << What is this? You leave the basics home? YOu think I am explaining :bs:? I want to hear your side then. Is this not open for discussion?

I think I know a little about the internal combustear. I want you to know what I know so when we line up, you have no excuse it was the car, the bike, the boat, the plain as day is fly right past you is you were clogging that cleaner is meaner some other way is open some speed INN.

And yes, as simple to read is there is theory in dare is pick it out is because I only speak in the absolute way the computer fires off is how you read the factory service manual to that diagnostics of what that (((check engine light)))) is saying.

If there are speed secrets for going fast.... How come the concept of air speed is not being comprehended on the ball in the tube being restricted is how high that ball is in the tube is one more absolute observation how air speed can show you how simple that ball is placed against the resistance of a screen in between the ball is add some paper pleat. Now add some dirt, leaves off a tree, that Snick Ear's candy wrapper is we chewing on basic theory or WOT (wide open throttle).

Next post should tell me I am full of crapola the theory does not hold water let alone air... :jaw::doh:

Dude we can really not understand what you are saying.

flamethrower.gif

Go back to INDIA! Thank you come again? You don't work for Dell do you?

flamethrower.gif

Holy Crap! I'm a mechanical engineer in filtration...and I have no idea what you just said!