Stock appearing power

• Sponsors (?)

The biggest issue will be the stock upper and lower intakes. I know more power can be had with a very good port job on both (TMoss had a good write up on some really big improvements he made), but 400 rwhp I think will be very tough.

For stock appearing you would definitely need to go with some aftermarket iron heads. Good luck with the build and keep us up to date on progress.

Reactions: 1 user
Gonna be tough. You’d have to use an Explorer intake, heavily ported but made to look stock.

i did this with my engine, but I’m not making 400hp to The wheels. Clearance issues with stock valve covers may be another issue.

My target was 300-325 reliable crank HP for a cruiser.
103FB79B-A7A6-4E6E-932E-2EF3E817FFA2.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Not unless you hide a nitrous kit in there. We went all out with the 95' Cobra (which comes with a Cobra intake) to make it look as stock as possible. Even crammed a 77mm MAF into the stock air box. We hit 302rwhp. It was not a budget build.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
Sure you can, buy/build a 347 shortblock, add a cam, and start swapping ported GT40 stuff on to it, along with some TFS or AFR heads, tri-y or long tube headers...

If you let TMoss go balls out on your GT40 intake, he claims it will do 250cfm. That's what we did on the Cobra. We sent him the lower and the upper and told him to give it his all. I hate to tell you, but 250cfm is unlikely to get you 400hp. We did the GT40x aluminum heads on the car, which flow 250cfms. It has the Aluminum X-heads, and to be honest with you, once you get all the SN accessories on there, you can't tell they are aluminum unless you are looking for it. O-decked block, tuned by the best guy we could find, and it was 302rwhp. This is a car we went so far to make it look stock, we bought an OEM replacement distributor condom, and replacement factory valve cover stickers for it. Now, on a Foxbody, you can get an intake off an Explorer, and someone makes an original looking 5.0 HO plate for it. The Explorer intake is the same as the GT40 and Cobra intake, and once you have that original 5.0 HO plate on it, it would really take a keen eye to notice it's not stock.

Kurt

To what end? Even if it can be done, What will 400 whp that looks like 215 do that’s gonna make any of that worth it? That may have fooled a few people a few times back in the early 2000’s,...but now days all of that sneaky sht to make 400 whp will end up being about 200-300 short of enough.

To what end? Even if it can be done, What will 400 whp that looks like 215 do that’s gonna make any of that worth it? That may have fooled a few people a few times back in the early 2000’s,...but now days all of that sneaky sht to make 400 whp will end up being about 200-300 short of enough.

I see where you are coming from, but it really depends on the OPs intend. Obviously making a car look stock to hustle races is only going to work if you are hanging with the import crowd. We did it because we thought it would be cool. Not like you are ever going to have the fastest Mustang anyway. Same reason you did a project car out of a horrid 80s :poo:box. It's something different.

Kurt

200-300 hp short of what?
Having fun?
Look, if he can put together a 'stock' looking 400 hp car why not?
He ain't gonna out run a hell cat, but he can make a camry look pretty silly.
And there are more camrys around than hell cats.

200-300 hp short of what?
Having fun?
Look, if he can put together a 'stock' looking 400 hp car why not?
He ain't gonna out run a hell cat, but he can make a camry look pretty silly.
And there are more camrys around than hell cats.
That don't make no sense. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT TRYING TO KEEP THE ENGINE LOOKING STOCK IF THE GOAL IS TO " have fun".
The only reason to try and hide true power is to try and make the tired, beat to death, ain't fooling nobody,... sleeper.

And if making a Camry look silly is the end goal...
It's Time to turn in the man-card.
Besides that...which one of these Ricers knows what to look for under the hood of a Fox mustang to know what is, and what isn't stock?

I see where you are coming from, but it really depends on the OPs intend. Obviously making a car look stock to hustle races is only going to work if you are hanging with the import crowd. We did it because we thought it would be cool. Not like you are ever going to have the fastest Mustang anyway. Same reason you did a project car out of a horrid 80s :poo:box. It's something different.

Kurt
OWWW, OWWW!!! My eye, my eye.. :stick:

Trying to run there?

That's the only reason I can think of for the question. If not, I don't know what you're trying to accomplish.

There's just no such thing as a sleeper fox-body anymore. It's all been done. Big blocks, Coyotes, Terminators, 2JZs, 4G63s, SR20s, LS, SBC, BBC, Hemi, every engine you can think of has been shoved down a fox-body's throat at some point. Even if yours looks stock and theirs doesn't, there's no surprising anyone anymore.

Case in point:

That car's engine in the article IS stock other than the exhaust. At print time in 2009 it had already run a 13.08 quarter mile. By 2012 the car had a Coyote in it and was running low 11s.

Another car that looks stock under the hood and can run 12s at the track.

Thing is, at the drag strip, in anything other than grudge match and test-n-tune nights, a 12 second car just isn't all that fast anymore. Mine's not. I mean, it's fast for a rusty old Pinto on steroids, but it's getting it's ass handed to it regularly by S550s with bolt-on exhaust, suspension, and a tune.

Trying to run there?

That's the only reason I can think of for the question. If not, I don't know what you're trying to accomplish.

There's just no such thing as a sleeper fox-body anymore. It's all been done. Big blocks, Coyotes, Terminators, 2JZs, 4G63s, SR20s, LS, SBC, BBC, Hemi, every engine you can think of has been shoved down a fox-body's throat at some point. Even if yours looks stock and theirs doesn't, there's no surprising anyone anymore.

Case in point:

That car's engine in the article IS stock other than the exhaust. At print time in 2009 it had already run a 13.08 quarter mile. By 2012 the car had a Coyote in it and was running low 11s.

Another car that looks stock under the hood and can run 12s at the track.

Thing is, at the drag strip, in anything other than grudge match and test-n-tune nights, a 12 second car just isn't all that fast anymore. Mine's not. I mean, it's fast for a rusty old Pinto on steroids, but it's getting it's ass handed to it regularly by S550s with bolt-on exhaust, suspension, and a tune.
That class you added allows power adders..The engine has to appear stock, but you can add a 91mm or bigger turbo..

Pffft.

That class you added allows power adders..The engine has to appear stock, but you can add a 91mm or bigger turbo..

Pffft.
What? Are they combining two classes?
Is it 'modern muscle ' versus 'f.a.s.t.' ?
I just don't get it sometimes,
Yeah, I don't get why F.A.S.T. has such loose rules for the modern muscle category. For the older cars they even check part numbers and casting numbers for crying out loud.

Hell, as loose as those rules are, you could take a fox-body Mustang, port and extrude-hone the intake manifold and use the biggest OEM Ford throttle-body you could find, use a set of ridiculously reworked heads like mine, throw a custom cam grind in it and a fully upgraded valvetrain, then shove about 15 lbs of boost into it with a turbo and make some real power with an engine that "looked stock".... and then still get it's ass handed to it by a new S550 with bolt-on suspension/exhaust and a tune. :rlaugh: