stock block can hold a simple 331 setup?

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
i plan on doing a budget 331 setup at some point, and was curious as to what kinda power they make and if the block can hold it. id really like to use a stock block, with a 331 crank, it might be bored .0300 but that doesent matter power wise, with maybe a trick flow top end kit, or a set of afr 185s, ect. possibly a custom grind cam, and then whatever fuel stuff it needs. if i do a main girdle support will the stock block hold that? i imagine thats like 350 hp or so right?

• Sponsors (?)

i plan on doing a budget 331 setup at some point, and was curious as to what kinda power they make and if the block can hold it. id really like to use a stock block, with a 331 crank, it might be bored .0300 but that doesent matter power wise, with maybe a trick flow top end kit, or a set of afr 185s, ect. possibly a custom grind cam, and then whatever fuel stuff it needs. if i do a main girdle support will the stock block hold that? i imagine thats like 350 hp or so right?

u can read my sig to get and idea of what a basic 331ci stroker consist of, power wise if u mean 350HP at the crank is and easy task 350RWHP is a nice goal for a NA 331 stroker. The girdle just helps keep the parts together when engine failure happens thats about it, from what i gather 331 and 347 stroker motors with stock blocks the safe number is around 420RWHP, with no guarantees some say RPMs blow em up some say torgue and HP staying under 420RWHP and under 6000RPMs is the best option. Best thing i ever did with any car i ever owned was the 333ci stroker u wont look back on it:nice:

Talk to Rick .. I picked my motor up 2 weeks after "89stang1" from him and its KILLING me that i havent finished the car yet but its almost there lol. but from his impressions i think ill be happy as well!

can you do more than 10 to one or is that not a good idea? id like to do 11 or so to 1. never will see bottle charger or turbo so might as well.

1slo5ohh is right i was in a hurry when i made my last post.......... talk to Rick from RNH P. look at the results from my build im very happy so far!

U can go 11:1 even with NA or NOS just not with a blower that u need to keep compression down with

Talk to Rick .. I picked my motor up 2 weeks after "89stang1" from him and its KILLING me that i havent finished the car yet but its almost there lol. but from his impressions i think ill be happy as well!

1slo5ohh i just read your sig Rick made u a 333ci too no dyno #s yet? your not postin your build? pm me your setup if u want im interested to see?

i dont really need that much engine, this is just a weekend car thats gonna have a slew of suspension stuff on it. call me old fashioned, and iknow they fixed it but that whole wrist pin thing in 347s has me not wanting to max out the stroke. and a big bore setup would mean a new block.

If i were in your shoes doing a whole motor build up I'd go with a 408 EFI might cost you i tiny bit more but having an all motor 400hp car will make you very happy. Even if it takes you a year or two to source all the parts and get good "deals" it will be worth it.

Unless you done blown up your motor and you need a new one tom.

with aluminum heads the weight should be comparable with a stock 5.0. throw in a tubular front set up and I think the whole thing could come in under stock 5.0 weight.

can you do more than 10 to one or is that not a good idea? id like to do 11 or so to 1. never will see bottle charger or turbo so might as well.

Never ever say never. I said the same thing.............and a zillion dollars later...........

If i were in your shoes doing a whole motor build up I'd go with a 408 EFI might cost you i tiny bit more but having an all motor 400hp car will make you very happy. Even if it takes you a year or two to source all the parts and get good "deals" it will be worth it.

Unless you done blown up your motor and you need a new one tom.

Not a bad idea...........