Stock Clutch Question

Steedaq

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 16, 2003
Hi all,

I'd like some feedback on the stock clutch. Let me explain the situation first...

My '01 stang is a street driven convertible, and won't see the track. I'm running Crower stage II blower cams and before the cam install was putting down 355 rwhp. I really don't beat on the car much and am running the stock tire size. Occasionally, I'll bark the tires on the 1-2 shift or redline third, but that's about it. First gear is pretty much pointless on stock tires. I don't know how much power the cam upgrade will give me if any. I'm still taking it easy on it - but it feels like it moved it further up the curve. Prior to the cam install, I never had an issue with the stock clutch and never felt any noticeable slip.

This is my dilemma, I need to replace my TOB (dryed out or something) - The stock clutch and flywheel are fine. However, while I'm down there...should I upgrade the clutch. I replaced the stock clutch in my 99 GT (daily driver) with the FRPP clutch and hated it. It gripped well, but the TOB started whistling after 3000 miles and the chatter was so bad around 50K miles, I had to replace it.

I'd like to stay with the stock clutch, but don't want to do this job twice as it's a PITA.

I've read through the other threads, and one said that the stock clutch is good for 300 hp. From my experiences, it just seems to be better than that. I guess that's driver dependent though.

What do you all think?

• Sponsors (?)

I put a Fidanza stage 2 clutch & aluminum flywheel in my ride with an OEM TB. The pedal is just slightly stiffer than stock. So far the cluth has been great.

Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on the clutch? Pricing should be around $440 for the clutch, right?

Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on the clutch? Pricing should be around $440 for the clutch, right?

I've had the clutch for several months. I can't remember the exact mileage when I put it in, but I'd guess around 15k miles it's been in there, along with a few trips to the track. I should also note that I have a Steeda quadrant & firewall cable adjuster also, with a modified OEM clutch cable.

The price for the clutch should be much cheaper than $440. I got the Fidanza 2.1 from American Muscle. They have it priced at $279.99.

I had gotten the flywheel in exchange from Spec for a flywheel that I sent back from my previous car. The aluminum flywheel would be about $350 give or take a few bucks.