Stock headlights vs. projectors

stdyhand

Nov 28, 2011
Missouri
The guy I bought my 91 GT from has already installed "euro" looking projector headlights. They looked brand new when I got the car, but only a year later the lenses are very yellow looking.

Also, I thought projector lights were suppose to be brighter. These projector headlights were never very bright but then again I am not sure if he even hooked them up right because I can't tell a difference between high and low beams.

Which is really better the projectors or the reflectors?

I know I could change to HID's but I don't really want all that extra wiring and I see a lot of other cars with HID's and they just seem way too bright. Even when I look to the side of the road its like getting hit with a spot light.

Would it be worthwhile to get another set of quality projector headlights or change the car back to a set of stock headlights? I like the stock lights with clear side markers, but if the projectors are normally much brighter than stock I'd rather go that route since I like to get as much light as I can without blinding other drivers.

• Sponsors (?)

What is your opinions on these headlights? http://www.americanmuscle.com/fox-chrome-headlights-amber.html

I've read a lot of good reviews on silverstar bulbs so was thinking they might give decent lighting over stock bulbs.

I don't really like that "euro" look of the projector style I already have, but I do like the clear lens assemblies.

Most reflector style housings though seem to have a piece inside that sits in front of the bulb preventing light from shining straight out. This housing doesn't seem to have that in front of the bulb though. But I don't think the stock headlights have anything inside either.

If anyone has any clue what the small bulb is for I'd be interested to know. I assume it is purely cosmetic and serves no real purpose for driving but I could be wrong.

My opinion on the projector lights....is that they don't belong on a Fox Body.

If you plan on replacing them, take a look at a set of Ultra Clear headlights sold by CJ Pony Parts or Latemodel Restoration. The give you a bit of a modern look, without making your car look like an extra from "The Fast and the Furious" franchise. They also give of a noticeable improvement in available light. The previous owner put a set in my car and I’m quite pleased with them.

If anyone has any clue what the small bulb is for I'd be interested to know. I assume it is purely cosmetic and serves no real purpose for driving but I could be wrong.

I think that theyre just cosmetic, seeing as how it looks like they come on after you turn on your parking lights. But i agree, they look awesome.

Those cheap eBay headlights don't belong on a mustang for reasons of form and function.

Buy some quality clear OEM headlights and silver stars and call it a day.

I actually dont think those look that bad compared to some others Ive seen. I looked at the customers cars and they all look good to me. I say do it. If they had smoked ones like that i would run them with my smoked ultra corners.

Thats like saying go back to the stock hood or wheels because it takes away from the look.
I guess it all depends on the hood or the wheels you're talking about.

Projector lights have always been associated with the "European" look....which later made it's way to the Import world.

A Mustang is a true-blue North American muscle car. Lights like that, really have no business being on such a car. The Mustang is not nearly refined enough and worse still, the lines are all wrong. It just looks out of place. As far as hoods and wheels go, tasteful and subtle changes that don't detract greatly from that look aren't a bad thing. Add a 5" mach-3 Cobra RR with 3 or 4 chrome vents to it, or a pair of gold 22"x9" wheels with a set of 205/30/22's stretched over them and you'll get the same comments you're now getting with these projector lights. :shrug:

Aftermarket headlight lens kit - It took about 7 days to get the lenses, 20 minutes per side to install all 3 lenses and forever to try to align them.

I drove around for several days with the driver’s side headlight scanning the upper branches of trees for squirrels, owls and UFO’s. The headlight lens had extra slack between the retaining clip and the screw head which allowed the lens to shift around. I fixed that with some small washers between the screw heads and the bottom of the mounting hole. I would recommend that you find 2 extra adjustment screws per side - they are the ones with the hex ends on the end of the screw where it sticks through the mounting plate. That may help the alignment problems, as the stock setup only allows adjustment with 2 screws, and is hard to adjust in and down at the same time.

If you bought Genuine Ford headlights, the adjustment will be easy. If you bought reproduction headlights, they will be very difficult to align properly. I bought reproduction units the first time, and my headlights could not be aligned: they would shine up in the trees and across the road. I even had all 3 screws set up as adjustment screws.

The set of headlights I now have say "Ford" on them and they seem to line up properly.

Thats like saying go back to the stock hood or wheels because it takes away from the look.
not really...considering you could have a cowl hood and some aftermarket wheels even back when the car was new... these modern upgrades just dont belong on a older car... kind of like the line of Audi style Led's everyone has these days... nobody sees your car and is like damn is that a new audi, when its an 89 Cavalier