stock hp rating

• Sponsors (?)

There were camshaft and exhaust changes as well as the introduction of Mass air in '89. All these were never reflected in the HP ratings.

The 205HP rating is a reflection of the new way of measuring HP and also the HP loss over the years from various changes.

I remember reading back in 1990 or so that the 87-88 5 speeds had 225hp and 300 tq and ran 13's in the 1/4 with 6 sec or so 0-60mphs. I never saw the fox bodies ever get better ratings than that- ever. Just progressively worse!

I am just trying to figure how much hp and torque I have gained with my mods listed in my sig. Trying to kind of get a baseline before I put my tmoss intake on next week.

Driveline loss for an aod is usually between 18 and 20%, correct?

some people think its %, others think its a set # on the HP loss.

as for the ratings, i doubt there was any major difference in HP from 89-93. 87-88 SD cars may make SLIGHTLY more. how would they add 10 more HP from 93 to 94 without upgrading anything? if anything they downgraded the intake manifold some to clear the hood.

simple, why would you want a brand new mustang coming out with lower horsepower ratings than the year before? I think ford did this to try to promote the new body style, not demote it :nice: honestly, i think the way of measuring hp was altered that year to make it look like it was low... Then the almighty sn95 stang came out, with a beefy extra 10 hp...

IndyBlk5.0 said:
simple, why would you want a brand new mustang coming out with lower horsepower ratings than the year before? I think ford did this to try to promote the new body style, not demote it :nice: honestly, i think the way of measuring hp was altered that year to make it look like it was low... Then the almighty sn95 stang came out, with a beefy extra 10 hp...

Exactly...Ford said they changed the way they measured horsepower and 205 was closer to the actual horsepower not 225...but it was really for marketing the Sn-95 to appear that it has more horsepower....

All 87-93 Mustangs would be a drivers race with all the variables being the same (weight, transmission, equal driver...)

Speed Density might have a couple horsepower more...

The 93 pistons were actually lighter than the previous forged pistons...

David

StreetStang37 said:
some people think its %, others think its a set # on the HP loss.

as for the ratings, i doubt there was any major difference in HP from 89-93. 87-88 SD cars may make SLIGHTLY more. how would they add 10 more HP from 93 to 94 without upgrading anything? if anything they downgraded the intake manifold some to clear the hood.

They attribute the extra 10HP to the electric fan.

But i agree...i think they downgraded the motor with the restrictive intake and such