Stock Rebuild Help

supashawn

Jul 27, 2014
hey guys I lost the oil the oil pump and im currently getting my stock 88 gt conv engine rebuilt. I was thinking about goin with a e303 and roller rockers. how do u think this would do with stock components? the only thing done to this car is exhaust...any help or info would be great

edit: its a mass air car

• Sponsors (?)

It depends on your torque range your looking for. E303 is good for lower to mid range power. Tire shredding off the line but looses the power mid to upper range. Try looking at the trick flow cams. They are brute throughout the powerband. Throttle response is way better but if u have the motor tore out now, look into an hci swap

Completely agree with a h/c/i swap with a better cam than a e303 cam but to answer your ? Yes you can use it with stock components. I did it a few years ago with no problems. You will not see any performance gain though with stock heads. I gasket matched the heads and installed an intake. Car only picked up .2 in the 1/4. Very minimal gain. But it sounded good:rolleyes:

hey guys I lost the oil the oil pump and im currently getting my stock 88 gt conv engine rebuilt. I was thinking about goin with a e303 and roller rockers. how do u think this would do with stock components? the only thing done to this car is exhaust...any help or info would be great

edit: its a mass air car
If rebuilding the stock power plant with no other changes, go with a B- cam

A top end kit will run me $3000+ and another $2000 for the rebuild! $5000 is a little more than I wanna put into my engine right now. Gotta get a new top, gears, and headers first. Maybe I will just 100% stock rebuild???...

For a budget build do this- get a jy explorer motor- it comes with the GT40 heads and intake already. Change the cam and valve springs to TFS1 cam and springs.
Put in new
FRPP or Cloyes timing chain and gears,
Melling standard volume oil pump with ARP shaft
Clevite standard rod and main bearings if you feel the need
Felpro Gaskets- rear main seal with teflon ring, rubber oil pan, timing cover, rubber valve cover
Harmonic Balancer- Pioneer makes a good for for around $150

You can reuse the explorer injectors, EGR Coolant tube, 65mm throttle body. Use your old distributor and flywheel, flexpate . Don't forget the pilot bushing if you have a stick.

When all is said and done, you will have a motor that makes around 260-280 rwhp for around $1000

For a budget build do this- get a jy explorer motor- it comes with the GT40 heads and intake already. Change the cam and valve springs to TFS1 cam and springs.
Put in new
FRPP or Cloyes timing chain and gears,
Melling standard volume oil pump with ARP shaft
Clevite standard rod and main bearings if you feel the need
Felpro Gaskets- rear main seal with teflon ring, rubber oil pan, timing cover, rubber valve cover
Harmonic Balancer- Pioneer makes a good for for around $150

You can reuse the explorer injectors, EGR Coolant tube, 65mm throttle body. Use your old distributor and flywheel, flexpate . Don't forget the pilot bushing if you have a stick.

When all is said and done, you will have a motor that makes around 260-280 rwhp for around $1000

thanks for the advice...sounds like a great budget build...but, I would like to keep my numbers matching. plus im very concerned about tuning! nobody on this island can tune a car properly so that's why I wanted to go with something mild like a cam and RR...right now the the car is bone stock except for a bbk hpipe flowmaster 44's and a 5 lug conversion with discs all around. im fairly new to fox mustangs.(had stock 87 back in highschool). I wanna swap the gears for 3.73's and put in some headers. the car still has the smog pump which im getting rid of and possibly an a/c delete kit, are these worthwhile to do??? just wanted to do the worth while upgrades while I have the engine apart...this car is a sunday driver only!! but I wouldn't mind going a little faster on a sunday! haha...thanks for the help and keep any advice coming for my build!

Definitely swap the gears! Best bang for the buck imo. Long tubes aren't worth the $ for your type of build. If you keep the stock heads..nothing and I do mean nothing...you do will make noticeable power. You can do the gt40's or used aftermarket heads and make about 50-100+rwhp over the stock heads. The cam and rr's will add about 10hp. Lt headers maybe 10 hp. All the little bolt ons will maybe get you 25-30hp or .2 sec better 1/4 mile performance. Gears alone usually pick up about .3-.5. So with all those tricks you will feel a difference. Look for a used intake(they're cheap and nearly impossible to be junk) and if you want a e303 cam/gt40's heads/etc. It will sound good and run reliably while producing around 260-275 rwhp(about 300 flywheel). Can be done very cheaply.

A5Liter, I agree that for the most part the heads will be the bottle neck. Unless you plan to spend some money on them, they aren't that great as they sit. Better off with a GT40 on a budget or an aluminum head.