stock tach accuracy

spederman

Apr 13, 2005
Anybody know how accurate the stock tach is when the motor is being revved up really really quickly? I have heard that the tach can climb quicker than the engine is actually revving when your boosted and can over rev and be off by a lot (like 500rpms).

• Sponsors (?)

I dunno, I got the tach to read around 6300 RPM once, but I never hit the rev limiter.

I missed a shift so the engine revved very fast, if its true then I guess it flung over a little more than it was actually revving... or else I dont have a rev limiter for some reason.

When I go through the gears, I can watch both my stock tach and my Autometer 5" tach and in the upper RPM's (over 4500), my stock tach is about 300-350 RPM higher than what the Autometer shows. I know the Autometer is more accurate because my rev limiter is set at exactly 6400 and if I ever bump the limter, I can hit recall on my Autometer and it will show exactly 6400 RPM. My stock tach will show close to 6750 when I bump the limiter.

good to know. I thought it might be off because if i tap the gas to the floor and let off right away in 2nd, the tach jumps all the way to redline 6300-6500K or so but my shift lite doesnt go off which is set at 5800k. So i figured since thats tied into the ecu, the tach must be just revving to quick.