Stock tach =good reading?

• Sponsors (?)

i dontwant to use a ATM tach... maybe just a shift light?

i wanna use the msd or the autometer with the pins... it should work...

if i use a 6200 pin even if the stock tack is wrong,the shift light shoulb get on at 6200?

witch one to do sugest? msd or atm?

Just installed an Autometer, the stock tach is off by 200 RPM. The shift light only option should be accurate, I'm guessing it hooks to the coil wire just like an aftermarket tach.

Well, the rev limiter is supposed to kick in at 6250rpm. So, if you run the motor up to the rev limiter and see where that is on the tach, that will give you some idea of its accuracy at high revs.

At least I think that'll work. Anyone else care to comment?

I used my msd 6al to test my tach. I put the 3000rpm pill in, and the car's tach read dead-on (3000rpm), when the rev limiter cut in.

I then tested the 6000 rpm pill, and my tach read 6500rpm before the rev limiter kicked in, so my tach is off my 500 rpm @ 6000 rpm. If I had more pills I could do a better job calibrating.

Scott W said:
I used my msd 6al to test my tach. I put the 3000rpm pill in, and the car's tach read dead-on (3000rpm), when the rev limiter cut in.

I then tested the 6000 rpm pill, and my tach read 6500rpm before the rev limiter kicked in, so my tach is off my 500 rpm @ 6000 rpm. If I had more pills I could do a better job calibrating.

I did the same test and came up with the same results ;).

I'm not trying to start an argument here but what difference does it make whether the tach is off or not? I mean as long as the tach is consistant isn't that what is really important?

For example 91five-o wrote:

At idle my stock tach is accurate. It gets progressively worse (reads high) as the rpms go up. No wonder I kept bogging off the line with my ET Streets.

If your stock tach reads 2,000 and you're bogging at launch why didn't you just raise your RPM to 2,500 or 3,000 when you launch? What did the stock tach's inaccuracy have to do with your launches?

Of if you know that your engine looses steam at 5,000 RPM on the stock tach what difference will it make if a 200 dollar tach says the engine is loosing steam at 5150 RPM? It's still gonna loose steam at the same actual engine RPM.

Now if you're constantly switching between exactly prepared cars like IROC racers I can see the importance of having exactly calibrated tachs but if you're only driving one car than I think the consistancy of the tach is much more important than the accuracy.

Corect readings...

..Interesting, BUT are those aftermarket meters calibrated ???
The stock one is not the best, but dont go blind on Autometer or other brands readings. The best way to control this, is using a rpm instrument thats calibrated and relyable. A stroboscope instrument !
( I use this type of instruments sometimes, and you just mount a strip of reflektive tape to the rotating part, and do a wireless reading. Correct reading, but its a quality instrument ! $428 !! ) .... :)