Stock tire snow performance

Power4

May 10, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hey, for those of you who've had experience with the GT stock tires on snow how well do they work? The 'stang will be my daily driver by the time winter rolls around and I'm wondering if I can get away with being cheap and not getting an extra set of winter tires.

• Sponsors (?)

depends on the amount of snow you see. if it is only a few inches at a time, you will be ok, if you get more than 6" frequent;y, i would get snow tires. check with official_style, he is from NY, but i think he used some blizzaks. :shrug:

Judging by the info on tirerack I'd say by and large not great. As Bigcat says, light snow would probably be OK, but with a car like this it's almost always advisable to get dedicated winters. On previous Mustangs I've bought it's always been a good investment.

It's typically not the snow that's the issue in many cases it's the ice that becomes the biggest problem, that is unless you get a wack of snow and then well it's all a problem at that point, heh.

Power4 said:
Hey, for those of you who've had experience with the GT stock tires on snow how well do they work? The 'stang will be my daily driver by the time winter rolls around and I'm wondering if I can get away with being cheap and not getting an extra set of winter tires.

I got the car in January 2005 here in Maryland, and rode through the rest of winter on the stock 17" Pirellis. Did fine in snow/slush <6". Decided to keep the car garaged the following winter, and swapped off the tires for larger wheels and summer tires. Put the Pirellis on my wife's 2005 Chrysler 300 as she complained about winter traction on the stock Continental tires. Said they were fantastic and she's still riding on them.

John